Gluonpilot is an open source effort to create an affordable, easy-to-use and easy-to-adapt autopilot. It's an all-in-one IMU-based module, which means that you only need 1 PCB board!
Interesting in joining the development (or testing)? Drop me a line!
To celebrate the first day of really good weather here, we released stable version 0.9!
This is the first non-beta release for GP2, so all the owners of the new cutting-edge GP2 hardware are encouraged to upgrade. Owners of GP1 can also upgrade, but are encouraged to do rigorous ground testing because from this release on, the firmware won't be tested anymore on GP1 hardware. It should be compatible, it should work, but no guarantees!
Some changes compared to beta 2 you'll notice:
- New and improved OSD (videos to come later!), see gluonconfig for the options
- Smoother waypoint navigation
- New boot messages, looking cleaner
Another big step has been taken since v0.8. This stable release allows us to start working on a lot of new features. Planned changes are:
- Wind calculation on the module instead of on the GCS. This will allow us to do a lot of cool stuff:
- Wind information on the OSD
- Gain scheduling according to the airspeed: better navigation in winds
- Improve auto-throttle: minimum speed, maximum speed
- Disable OSD to save battery for those who don't use it
Have a neat idea? Let me know!
- Some people are having problems upgrading to the latest version with an older version of the GCS. If you are experiencing these issues (using a 0.9 beta x release), first upgrade to the latest GCS, and then upgrade the firmware.
- The best way to upgrade:
- Read configuration
- Save configuration to file
- Upgrade firmware
- Reset to factory setting + calibrate
- Load configuration from file
- Optionally re-calibrate
Version 0.9 Beta 2 is out! It fixes some problems that urgently needed fixing.
- OSD that suddenly stops working has been fixed
- The GP2 can now be installed at any 90° angle! (0°, 90°, 180°, 270°). See the settings in GluonConfig under "Advanced configuration -> Sensors"
- Install GP2 at a different pitch angle. Your module's pitch angle will never be perfectly zero. This setting allows you to change that. It is advised not to use this option to install the GP2 at a large pitch angle.
- Configure Maximum Range: New navigation command that lets your UAV return when the distance to home exceeds a certain threshold
Available in the download section!
Due to quality issues at TI, the next batch of GP2 modules is delayed by a few weeks. Please be patient.
In the meantime we have time to implement new features! :-)
Due to the demand, Gluonpilot 2 was sold out before I received the units :-) Mostly faithful users buying their second or third unit!
The new batch is underway, and is expected by the end of next month (December). If you want a unit, make sure to pre-order: contact me for more information.
The first software & firmware release for GP2 is available in the download section. Still in beta, so please us with care. The new version is still compatible with GP1 as well!
After a long period of waiting, we are ready to introduce to you: gluonpilot 2!
The previous hardware iterations gave us the experience we needed to design this new best-in-class autopilot system. Some of the key features are:
- Small! Slightly above 4 x 5cm
- Integrated: All needed sensors (including the switched power supply) are on the main board
- Easy to use: an on-board USB connector will make you feel very familiar
- 2 voltage inputs for batteries
- 1 current sensor input
- Extendable: all pins are available on the extension board (I2C, SPI, GPS, ...)
- Rewritten OSD firmware with unique features: wind indicator, current navigation block name
- Future proof: Your gluonpilot won't be outdated after 1 or 2 years: our firmware and ground control station is still backwards compatible with gluonpilot 0.1 (2009!)
For techy lovers:
- MPU-6000 based
- High-Efficiency switched voltage regulator at 2.5Mhz which gives it us even better efficiency and a very small footprint
- Top quality components for optimum performance: X7R capacitors & 1% resistors
- Enough solder jumpers & in- & output ports to customize it to your needs
The new hardware will be available by the end of this month (October). The first batch is almost completely sold out, so we encourage you to pre-order!
After long testing, we finally released version 0.8 of the firmware and Ground Control Station.
Most of the people have been using the Beta versions (also quite stable), so nobody will be surprised about the new features. Nevertheless, here's a wrap-up of new features:
What's new in version 0.8?