How to build the GluonPilot code

All questions related to the configuration tool and groundstation

Moderator: lukasz

Re: How to build the GluonPilot code

Postby e_lm_70 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 pm

1) That's the original idea ... and I can't think nothing more easy then set +5v or +0V on the channel 6.
2) No way :mrgreen: ...
3) Problem is that FrSky by default is sending data from RX to the TX module, but nothing from TX to the RX, so by default it is only a display. This means in FrSky mode there is no way to send any data over the serial port, while the GCS is bidirectional ... so it is hard to detect one from the other.

I will implement the option 1 ... I will send to you the code in case you want to add into the main build stream

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70

Postby e_lm_70 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

While testing the bluetooth module on the FrSky telemetry ... I did discover that FrSky telemetry is not in RS232 TTL logic, but is looking an inverted level logic.

Tom, do you know if it is possible to invert the output from the serial port of the GluonPilot board ?

Thanks

e_lm_70
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Tom
Site Admin

Postby e_lm_70 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 am

THANKS MAN ;)

So, I just need to set the UTXINV = 1 ... and it will work :mrgreen: ... at least I hope :o

If I fail .. I may have problem to re-flash the board :geek:

Anyhow ... I gotta to try anyhow

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:21 am

If you have a problem reflashing you can reflash the board by manually plugging in the FTDI cable when the bootloader says "Sending reset command". You may need to try this a few times until it works :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby e_lm_70 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 am

Actually ... I should not have problem on re-flasing .. since the boatloader kick in before the UTXINV is applied

At least this is what I hope ...

Anyhow ... time to pass from words to facts ... going to make my 1st test flash for connect to the FrSky :mrgreen:

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70

Postby e_lm_70 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:10 pm

:o :o :o YES :o :o :o

Just plugged the FrSky Telemetry on my GluonPilot reflashed ...

And yes ... it is working ... just sending now some dummy value .... but communication is fine

Very, very happy about it :mrgreen:

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Tom, I will send you my modified code, when I'm happy and ready with my result, so I hope you can add in the main stream of GluonPilot ... I don't want to hack it every new firmware

pps: Frsky works with 9600 and inverted polarity. Normal telemetry is 56k. My hack check if the RX port 6 is high at start up, (it check multiple times, since it is possible that has a floating value if left unconnected) if it is high for the first 2 seconds after power up ... then it goes in FrSky mode ... else keep the normal mode. In FrSky mode is not possible, or it could be complicated to handle configuration, flashing etc etc ... So only on the air make sense to use FrSky mode.
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Great news!
What are you showing on the display?

Maybe I could implement a new navigation command like SET_FRSKY_MODE()?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby e_lm_70 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:45 pm

No you can't :mrgreen: .... or maybe :geek:

First, I was not sure I can reset the UART speed on the fly, so I stick on setting the speed at start up ... but I think you can easily change UART speed and mode on the fly.

Second ... on FrSky mode there is no feedback mode, at least not by default, if I hack the FrSky, I can have an uplink, but by default it is just a display with only downlink data.

FrSky, display has 3 pages, and shows: signal strength, battery volt, 2 temperatures, rpm, altimeter, XYZ acceleration, RPM, fuel level, and the GPS data (coordinate direction and speed)

For my usage, since I'm not going to bring any PC on the flying field, I like to arm the GluonPilot in FrSky mode or in normal mode buy just a simple cable that can be removed eventually (it can even stay it will not arm if input ch6 is not used) ... in theory it can be implemented to always arm in normal mode, and by a command switch to FrSky mode, but from this point will need a HW reset for change mode. Anyhow .. without a PC, I can't change mode, so ... I stay with my solution.

As well, for have a uplink on FrSky mode (assuming a "hacking" on the FrSky TX module), also the serial input need to be reversed, and I'm not sure this can be done without hardware inverter, if I understand right the 17-10 picture there is no inverter bit in input mode ... but ... I'm a rookie :roll:

Anyhow ... as soon as I finish with my coding I can show a little video about the FrSky connection.
Then ... I let you free about how to update the main code stream, at the end the hack is quite isolated.

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The FrSky Telemetry HUB protocol is well documented, and it is what I'm using as reference for feed the downlink from bird to display ... if you want to have a look here is the link: http://www.frsky-rc.com/uploadfile/2011 ... 301692.pdf
e_lm_70

Postby e_lm_70 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 am

DONE

So the following data are passed from GluonPilot to FrSky telemetries:

XYZ acceleration
Altitude from ground (pressure sensor)
Temperature
Current Navigation Line (send over second Temperature)
Number of Satellites (send over RPM, set 60 blades on the display for have correct number)
Flight mode (send over Fuel level: 0 Manual, 50% Stable , 100% Automatic)
GPS direction (sent, supported by Hub, but not shown on display, maybe next FrSky display firmware will support it)
GPS lat
GPS lot
GPS speed
GPS altitude (sent, supported by Hub, but not shown on display, maybe next FrSky display firmware wll support it)

Tested on the "bench" and all is looking to working very fine :)

Going to post the photo on rcgroups, since from here I can't upload a picture ..

Now ... firmware is ready for my taste ... I need to chose one of my bird for maiden ... but since I don't want the GluonPilot exposed outside the bird, I have not many birds options ... so ... need to work on it a bit.

Tchuss

e_lm_70

Last edited by e_lm_70 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
e_lm_70

PreviousNext

Return to Software