making Gluon board alive

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: making Gluon board alive

Postby sid » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:50 pm

hi tom ,
thanks for your prompt reply. will rig up eyrything as per ur instructions. my frame is ready since quite long. will keep you posted.

Regards
Sid
sid

Postby sid » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Tom,
FInally my quad is ready.. :lol: Everything installed and configured ready to go. Unfortunately I found one ESC is bad (Not initializing the Motor.. I counter checkd with another ESC and motor..PWM output is ok) , so will replace the same tomorrow. The control looks ok.. The only question is , do I need a GPS lock to only test the stabilization ..? Can I do indoor test w/o GPS lock ...? ;)

REgards
SID
sid

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi Sid,

No you don't need to GPS for the quadrocopter. Be very carefull on the first flights. If it oscillates, decrease the P-value. Sometimes 1 ESC isn't properly initialized, it is usually solved when I reboot the module. Make sure throttle is off and mode is manual when you boot the module.

Good luck! :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Sid,

One more remark:
It is better to calibrate the sensors when the module is already powered by your ESC (or external battery). Make sure to disconnect your 5V supply from the FTDI cable (if you use one). Also, calibration is more precise if the temperature during calibration is about the same as temperature during flight. E.g. if you calibrate in airco at 20°C, and you fly in sun at 35°C, there will be an offset.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby sid » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks a lot for your careful tips. Will follow the same and keep you posted. Find my Quad picture attached here.

REgards
SID
Attachments
quad1.jpg
quad1.jpg (159.78 KiB) Viewed 8301 times
sid

Postby sid » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:50 am

Hi Tom,
I am facing an issue in stabilized mode.. The motors are operating in the wrong direction. I found this on a test bench. Manual controls are ok.IN manual mode (with some 15% power on) If I put the elevator stick forward the forward motor (pwm2) turns off and rear motor (pwm4) revs more..SO this is ok. In manual mode for aileron stick if I push teh stick all the way to left the left motor (pwm1) turns off and opposite on (pwm3) revs up , so this is also fine.

But if I put the the quad in stabilized mode (on the bench with holding the quad from the bottom) if I tilt forward (pwm2 motor down) the opposite (pwm4) revs up , so it tilts more.. It should be other way round. The same thing is happening with roll too. In the config file you sent in the servo options servo one and two were checked for reversed, I did uncheck them , write and burn but it did not change the bahaviour. Please let me know what should I do ?

REgards
SID
sid

Postby sid » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Tom,
After doing some trial and errors my findings are below.

If you choose aileron (in control output mix) instead of quadrocopter in gluonconfig you are able to reverse the servo directions. I confirmed thrice and it worked.. Servo reversing is not working in Quadrocopter mix.

Please find my servo input config attached herewith. Hope it's correct.

Manually everything is just fine.. All I need is to reverse the servo in stabilized mode for roll and pitch..Yaw yet to be checked.

Regards
SID
Attachments
quad-config.JPG
quad-config.JPG (64.01 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
sid

Postby Tom » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi Sid,

You cannot reverse the rotation of a motor in software. You need to switch 2 of the 3 cables towards your brushless motor to reverse the rotation. Take up that soldering iron :-)

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby sid » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:57 am

Hi Tom,
Hope you had a nice vacation.. :D ..Now you are full of ideas and energy to progress. Actually It's my mistake of explanation to you what is happening. The issue is not the motor rotating direction..WHat is happening here is when you tilt the Quad holding at the bottom in stabilized mode the downgoing motor should turn on to stabilize not the upgoing arm motor.. In this case the motor which is turning on is on the upgoing arm, this way it tilts (leans) more towards that side. SO it wonlt stabilize the quad..In an airplane when you check this with elevator when you move the nose down teh evevator should go up not down.. In this case the motor but it's a saperate pwm only.. so something to do with mixing...?
Hope I am clear this time.. :idea:

Regards
SID
sid

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Motor 2 is the front one, and the servo connectors are also the front side of the module... so you should reverse your module.
Tom
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General