stabilized mode

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

stabilized mode

Postby lukasz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:22 am

Hi All,
I have almost finished my plane setup and started to play with configuration.

Manual mode seems to work fine - steering surfaces move as expected. Note that I use PWM signals - 5 channels.
I modified Hitec HFS-05MS receiver and pulled out PPM signal but I had large disturbances - after I powered on the plane, after a minute all servos and engine went crazy. I tried different channels but the result was always the same. I decided not to use this receiver as I don't want any unpredictable behavior during flight.

Having PWM signals from my second receiver all seems to work fine.
After configuring RC input, servos and control in GluonConfig tool I started to play with stabilized mode.
When I move the plane around (pitch, roll) all steering surfaces act as expected :). I was so happy to see this working.
After reading http://gluonpilot.com/wiki/Stabilized_flight (Flight!section) I decided to move aileron stick in stabilized mode to see if steering surfaces act as expected - if my understanding is correct, in stabilized flight when I move aileron stick to left, the plane should roll to left and keep 35 degrees max for roll(this is how I set in Gluonconfig). After moving the aileron stick to its max positions steering surfaces didn't move at all.

Is my understanding of above wrong or something is not working here?
I would like to test all "on ground" before I go out into the field and fly.
lukasz

Re: stabilized mode

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Lukasz,

It is a very good idea to test everything on the ground before making your first flight!

Everything you say is correct. In the RC-input tab, is the Roll channel going from +-1000 to +-2000 when you move the aileron stick? Remember that if you change anything in this tab, you need to reset the module.
I suppose yout Roll2Aileron P-term in the PID-tab is non-zero because the ailerons move when you roll the plane?

Are you sure you are in stabilized mode and not in navigation mode?

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby lukasz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:04 pm

In the RC-input tab, when I move aileron stick i have values from +-1000 to +-2000.
of course I reset the module after any change that i do in GluonConfig tool.

When going into the autopilot mode the readings for this channel are in the middle of the bar.

I can add the configuration file for you to see,but this forum is not accepting gcf files - is there a workaround for this?
lukasz

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Now it should work to attach it, I changed the forum settings.

Stabilized mode = middle position @ 1500ms
Tom
Site Admin

Postby lukasz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Yes, when in AP mode the channel is oscillating around 1500.
Attached is my latest gcf file.

I left all values under PID as default so the P value is 0.5
Attachments
GPS+RC(PWM)+servo.gcf
conf file
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
lukasz

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:40 pm

I see one weird thing: your "Neutral" Servo settings should be around 1500. Yours are 1000 and 2000 (Servo 1 and 2). Do you get these same values when you turn the module on (make sure your transmitter is also on) and do a "Read"?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby lukasz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 pm

I will check this out later today and let you know.
Also, I noticed that in the latest release (45) there is no cube graph.
lukasz

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 pm

The latest release is still a work in progress :-)

I would recommend not using the latest gluon config with an older firmware version, they need to be in sync (and are still under test!)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby lukasz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:39 pm

I have double checked all settings with RC transmitter ON.
And the values are as follows:
min neutral max
Servo1: 1000 1489 2000
Servo2: 1000 1495 2000

Also i have resolved the issue with stabilized mode. I had to trim a bit my AP channel to be around 1500ms.
Previously when I turned on AP channel on my RC transmitter the value under Servos tab in Gluonpilot config was around 1100ms.

For turning on/off AP I use "Gear" channel - two position switch on my RC transmitter.

Thanks Tom for your support.
lukasz

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 am

Ah yes,
Stabilized mode is the status in between. When stabilized mode works fine, you won't need this anymore, but for now you'll need to trim your transmitter to make sure you can switch from manual to stabilized mode.
Tom
Site Admin

Return to General