3D printed GluonPilot 2 mounting base

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

3D printed GluonPilot 2 mounting base

Postby small_rc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm

I felt that a nice easy mount for the GluonPilot 2 was needed. So a friend helped me model the part in SolidWorks.

Attached are some pdf files that can be rotated in Acrobat Reader.

Also there are several photos of the printed part up on Flickr in my photostream. It is easier than reducing the size and uploading them here.

See this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29855878@N05/

I ordered the parts from Shapeways.com in the Netherlands on Sunday the 17th of August. They said they would be shipped 26th of August. They did not tell the truth. They arrived in Canada today Thursday the 22nd. Fantastic delivery.

Edit Later : I was so excited to see the package, I did not look at the shipping address. Although Shapeways indicated they were in the Netherlands, the parts were shipped from their new Brooklyn, New York plant. Still great service.

We will make some small changes to stiffen the part. Then I will order enough for the GluonPilot 2 that I have in stock or have sold to clients. We will also give the files to Tom so he can place the files up on ShapeWays for others to use.

The intention is to make a mold to vacuum form a cover to put over the whole unit. It will be mounted to the 4 vertical lugs on the side of the base.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions before I order the numbers I need.

Thanks

Jim H
GluonPilotUSA.com
Attachments
Sample Assembly.PDF
Case base with mockup board in place.
(59.87 KiB) Downloaded 1277 times
Case-Base-1.PDF
Bare case base with no boards in position
(55.81 KiB) Downloaded 1235 times
Last edited by small_rc on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
small_rc

Re: 3D printed GluonPilot 2 mouting base

Postby lukasz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:54 am

Nice one.
I did the same from plywood.
In my plane I have a plywood shelf where I just slide GP2 and mount with one or two screws.
Did you think of any vibration dumpers that could be placed on the mounting base?
lukasz

Postby small_rc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm

The tabs on the edges are similar to those of servo mounts. You can use fuel tubing and a small screw and the unit is now isolated from direct contact with the plane.

The idea is for the user to choose which mount tabs are best suited for a plane and then cut off the rest. Servo grommets for Futaba HS81/82 servos fit in the mount tabs.

I am open to other ideas to incorporate.

The cost of these items is very small.

Jim H
GluonPilotUSA.com
small_rc

Postby kempo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Jim,

what about something like this :

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php/acc ... mount.html

redesigned for Gluonpilot?

It could reduce the vibrations , i suppose.
kempo

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:12 am

Nice work Jim!

When will the top part be ready?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby small_rc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 pm

The top part will be vacuum formed plastic. I will make the mold after the next base prototype.

We are going to strengthen the structure. The 4 vertical lugs will be raised a bit and the rounded top changed to a straight line. The vertical stiffener on the short side will now be as high as the ones on the long side. The holes in the 8 mounting points will be enlarged.

The suggested anti vibration mount looks good. Some may wish to just buy that and modify it to take the GluonPilot 2. I hope that the fuel tubing or rubber servo mounting grommets will be enough anti-vibration for the GluonPilot 2. The investment in a mold to make the range video mount must have been a lot of money. We have a budget restraint so we are using 3D printing to make the part in small volume. It also allows us to change the mount if changes are needed.

Later this week we will post a model of the changes and ask for more suggestions.

Thanks

Jim
small_rc

Re: 3D printed GluonPilot 2 mounting base

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:27 am

Hi Jim,

Are the outer holes forming a square or not? If in the (very long) future we move to quads, a square mount is preferred.

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby lukasz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:52 am

Tom wrote:Hi Jim,

Are the outer holes forming a square or not? If in the (very long) future we move to quads, a square mount is preferred.

Tom

Are there any plans to move to Quads?
I thought that idea died? :)
I would be more than happy to use GP on my quad instead of those multiwii projects ;)
lukasz

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 am

The idea never died, but lack of time made me focus on fixed wings :-)

I recently made improvement to the magentometer code (auto-calibration, ...) so this is already 1 step in the good direction :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby lukasz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:24 am

Glad to her that in some future we could put GP on a Quad.
The auto calibration means that you wont need to calibrate the mag by moving the sensor in different directions?
lukasz

Next

Return to General