GP2 tested - new Popwing

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

GP2 tested - new Popwing

Postby icebear » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi,

I was quite happy with the Techone Popwing of last year so I decided to get a new one when they were on sale this spring.

I mounted the GP2 sideways for a better fit with rx/gps and this was also the first flight test with the very light GlobalTop GPS on an adafruit board.

The GP2 flew the Popwing for the first time today and with out any need for adjustments (used the old setup from the GP1 from last season)!

Here's a quick picture of the installation - I hope to fit the Hero3 on there soon...

/Björn
Attachments
popwing2.jpg
Popwing with Gluonpilot ver 2.0
popwing2.jpg (146.08 KiB) Viewed 34996 times
icebear

Re: GP2 tested - new Popwing

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:16 pm

You are a true flyer!
The speed of your builds is so fast because you probably want to get it in the air! I waste a lot of time thinking about how to arrange everything :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Tom wrote:You are a true flyer!
The speed of your builds is so fast because you probably want to get it in the air! I waste a lot of time thinking about how to arrange everything :-)

ha, ha, thanks.... BUT sometimes I wish here was a littlemore afterthought to my builds - they are nowhere as neat as your installations...

I was glad to see that the GP2 worked so well with the second Popwing. I will see if I can tweak the parameters a little, though. THere was a tendency to oscillation in roll going in strong headwind and I think it is just a matter of getting P and D right...

More soon!

/Björn
icebear

Postby icebear » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:50 am

I have had the opportunity to fly the Popwing 2 some more and have cleaned up the installation and made some modifications;

- new motor - AXI 2208/26 with 7x5 APC prop - will enable me to run on two or three cells to determine the optimum for range - total weight 400 grams excl battery
- cableing tidied up and everything fixed with hotglue
- the autopilot bay is covered clear tape to protect from dust & moisture - easy to remove and "re-attach"

Still to do;

- optimize parameters - the Popwing has a tendency to oscillate upwind even if headspeed is OK - will try to use parameters from other setups and tweak
- fix a mount for the GoPro3 - a little tricky since the battery pack needs to be moved

Here are som pics of the installation!

/Bjorn
Attachments
car.jpg
new popwing and new car...
car.jpg (369.23 KiB) Viewed 34972 times
popw2.jpg
installation in the popwing
popw2.jpg (272.62 KiB) Viewed 34972 times
icebear

Postby Tom » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:40 am

Making a small cut in the wing and putting the servo cabling in it would also improve performance :-)

I am also waiting for a new car to optimize my groundstation experience ;-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Tom wrote:Making a small cut in the wing and putting the servo cabling in it would also improve performance :-)

I am also waiting for a new car to optimize my groundstation experience ;-)

Ha! I knew you would spot my cheating... ;) BUT I have now covered the cable with some tape to smoothen it out at least...

/Bjorn
icebear

Postby small_rc » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Is the oscillation of the popwing a CG issue, a speed issue or a toe-in toe-out issue with the wingtips.

Many wings have the constant wiggle in yaw. Should the motor be mounted at the nose as a "puller" rather than in the tail as a pusher?

Will moving the motor further ahead help?

I thing it is a dynamic issue with thrust line, or the wing and winglet configuration, not a GP2 issue. I am working on the same problem.

Where do you buy the PopWing? The US seller wants $45.00 to ship to Canada.

Jim H
small_rc

Postby icebear » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:55 pm

small_rc wrote:Is the oscillation of the popwing a CG issue, a speed issue or a toe-in toe-out issue with the wingtips.
Many wings have the constant wiggle in yaw. Should the motor be mounted at the nose as a "puller" rather than in the tail as a pusher?
Will moving the motor further ahead help?
I thing it is a dynamic issue with thrust line, or the wing and winglet configuration, not a GP2 issue. I am working on the same problem.
Where do you buy the PopWing? The US seller wants $45.00 to ship to Canada.
Jim H

Hi JIm!

In fact the Popwing flew with the GP1 just fine last season. In fact so nicely that I decided to get another "fresh" one to have for this season. Therefore, I am quite convinced it was a trim / parameter issue.
I found out two days ago that forwarding the CG a bit AND increasing roll P-gain helped quite a bit.
I will try to perfect it but I managed to get really nice tracking upwind by just doing this.
I got my Popwing from a local seller - not as cheap as in the US but still... I think Nitroplanes carry them - are they charging that much to ship? It was about $100 on sale here so I think that's what you would pay incl shipping anyway...

Well worth the money anyway (I have tested quite a few wings) - and you get a decent outrunner motor included in that price too...

Cheers,

Björn
icebear

Postby icebear » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Update - GoPro3 mounted!

I just managed to make a mount in the front of the Popwing as well as exchanging the Xbee 2.4 fro a 900 MHz version with duck antenna. Will se if that improves range. I am now running on a 2S-2500 mAh pack so I am expecting looong runtime also.

The Popwing flies really smooth and now I just need to upgrade to 1,0BETA2 firmware.

I do have some problems in loading new fw from my computers - dont know why - I am running XP and Win7 on two ASUS laptops. Anyone having issues doing fw upgrades? (the process stops with error messages)

/BJorn
Attachments
popwing2.jpg
Popwing2 with GoPro3
popwing2.jpg (189.69 KiB) Viewed 34773 times
icebear

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes I have it too on the installation file. Not on my development environment (which I alwayse use...)

Please try emergency GluonCS v0.10 Beta 3 :)
Tom
Site Admin

Next

Return to General