Back in business - test of GoPro3

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Back in business - test of GoPro3

Postby icebear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi all,

After the longest winter I can remember I finally managed to start the season this week by flying a route doing crop surveillance at work this week.

I have monted the GoPro3 Black on my GP equipped Glider wing and got some footage at 500 meters over our Rye fields at work where we grow crops for medicinal purposes.

I will post the edited video soon, but can already say the quality of this cam is amazing!

Hoping for some warmer weather SOOON...!

Cheers,

Bjorn
Attachments
screendump.jpg
Screendump from video
screendump.jpg (105.71 KiB) Viewed 16840 times
icebear

Re: Back in business - test of GoPro3

Postby Tom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Woooow! Great news!

My X5 with FPV is also ready to go for the new season :-) Let's go and do some great flying this year!
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Tom wrote:Woooow! Great news!

My X5 with FPV is also ready to go for the new season :-) Let's go and do some great flying this year!

Yes! I have been away over the weekend but I hope to be able to edit thevideo soon... And of course get some more flying done! :)
icebear

Another flight

Postby icebear » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:52 am

Three weeks have passed and yesterday I did another crop survey around work.
Now the crops have started growing again after the winter and the GoPro3 did a good job this time also.

Here's a short video of the flight;
http://youtu.be/fpRIPdMhdSA

Now I am looking for a wing with a little better headspeed - any ideas on a good 1 meter wing appreciated!

Cheers,

Björn
icebear

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am

Woow, this is a super stable video!!! I guess there was little wind?

How did this video help you in crop surveying?

You can always buy the 1 meter version of your Glider, which is the one I have. Also you could take a look at the caiparinia: http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:tbscaipirinha
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks Tom!
Yes, it wasnt very windy but not still either - about 5 m/s reading from the GCS but I would guess that was a slight over estimation - probably 3-4 m/s.

Our farmer likes to see the fields when the crops start growing after the winter so that they can see if there are larger areas where the crop has been hurt by the winter. We rent the land and pay only for crops that grow, so it is good to have some "proof" when negotiating with the land owner :)

The new GoPro is so good that it makes sense to make stills from the video. We grow about 150 hectares of the land around our site so the area that is covered in the video contain all of our crops.

You can actually buy the final product (registered herbal medicine) made from these crops in Belgium now! :)

THanks for the link - the Black Sheep verison looks interesting!

/Björn
icebear

Postby icebear » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi again,

I plan to do a crop survey every week up until the harvest (around 1st week of June since we harvest pollen!) and today was the 3rd sortie since starting April 2nd.

I won't tire everyone with another video of circling from 500 meters and down so here's just a screenshot of the Gluonpilot in the clouds...

Bjorn
Attachments
gluon_cloud.jpg
Glider wing in the clouds
gluon_cloud.jpg (253.01 KiB) Viewed 16742 times
icebear

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Woow, very nice! Was this at only 500m altitude? Is this a photo or a screenshot? The resolution is 2880x1800 :-)

Next time try to climb another 500 meter for a nice shot above the clouds! Would be very nice with the shadows from those clouds :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks Tom! Yes it was "only" 500 meters :) - low clouds

I would love to go over them next time!

Sorry for the screenshot dimensions - I just did a screencapture from out new Macbook which has great resolution. The original is video and 1920x1080...

Just ordered the TBS wing for next project - a home for the GP2 of course...

Cheers,

Björn
icebear

Return to General