Photogrammetry with gluonpilot

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: Photogrammetry with gluonpilot

Postby kempo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Julio , here are the detailed steps that I do :

- after the plane is fully equipped , with the CG on the right place I am doing the maiden flight. For sure the servo needs some trims from rc transmitter. As soon as I am happy with the plane behavior I land and change the position of the servo arms so that with 0 ( zero ) trims from rc transmitter ( but with servo arms re positioned) I have the same deflection as I want[all the above actions are done in MANUAL mode];

- I am doing another flight to reconfirm the settings;

- now with the plane on the ground , leveled I am calibrating the autopilot sensors - like this the autopilot knows the level position;

- now I am doing a new flight and I'm checking the MANUAL mode first and after the STABILIZE mode [ during this phase I am making sure that the flight height is big enough to allow me to recover the plane in case of STABILIZE NOK ;

Maybe there are other ways , better that what I described above.

Going back to camera position , Initially I wanted also to have it under the autopilot but I was afraid to have interference from the camera affecting the autopilot.
kempo

Postby julioall » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks for sharing your procedure. I think my problem is with the servos programming.

There is no interference whatsoever. Non from the ESC, neither from the camera. One property of carbon fiber is that it does not allow electromagnetic radiation to pass through so it acts like a electric shield. Be careful to keep it away from your Rx and telemetry!
julioall

Postby julioall » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:19 am

Kempo, would you be so kind of posting an image of your usb cable to trigger your cameras.

Thanks!
julioall

Postby kempo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:41 am

julioall wrote:Kempo, would you be so kind of posting an image of your usb cable to trigger your cameras.

Thanks!

Below there is a link with some instructions to build the cable.

As connection , the cable is connected to ch6 from autopilot and on the mini usb cable on the camera.

Please let me know if I can help with something else.

http://fastupload.rol.ro/ebaf67a318d979 ... b549c.html
kempo

Postby julioall » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks, I was not all that lost!

I hooked up an ELPH 130 camera to GP2 and started working on the communication. I read previous post that you made an tutorial/guide about this but the link is down. Could you share it again?

Cheers!
julioall

Postby julioall » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi,

so far I've got two methods to trigger the camera with chdk (KAP UAV 3.6) and GP2 which are described below:

Method 1: Intervalometer On/Off
On the camera:
-Set the intervalometer to your desired time.
-Set USB control to On/Off
On GCS:
-Block (Start Trigger)
-ServoSet (channel: 6, position: 0us)
-ServoTriggerStart(channel: 6, CHDK)
-If you are benchtesting remember to use a Standby block.
-Block (Stop Tirgger)
-ServoTriggerStop()

Method 2: GP2 Triggers
On the camera:
-Set USB control to OneShot
On GCS
-Block (Start Trigger)
-ServoSet (channel: 6, position: 0us)
-ServoTriggerStart(channel: 6, postion: 2500us, delay: N ms), N is your custom delay
-If you are benchtesting remember to use a Standby block.
-Block (Stop Tirgger)
-ServoTriggerStop()

This works really smooth, just make your CHDK bootable and autostart the script and the whole thing will be ready with just one button push.

I am still working on a way to shut down the camera or at least retract the lens when finished. Any guess on that?

Hope this helps. Have a great week!
julioall

Postby julioall » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Well that was fast!

Here is a way to retract the lens as soon as the usb signal is halted:
-Go to the camera menu and set the lens retract time to 0 min.

That's it. When the script detects that there is no usb signal coming from GP2 it will simple retract the lens.
julioall

Postby kempo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Julio,

Please find below the instructions put in place by me some months ago:

http://fastupload.rol.ro/985c373ef41855 ... 77bdb.html

There are some updates to be done, function of available time I will do them.
kempo

Postby julioall » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi all,

Hope you are having a blast during the holidays! I wish I was too but recently a problem came with the camera/gluonpilot. What is happening is that while there are 254 triggers, the camera (canon elph 130 w/chdk) took 230 pictures. This started happening after several successful flights. Normally, GP2 will send a pulse every 5s to take a picture but the camera is sometimes missing this pulse (or GP2 sometimes is not sending it). This has happened in 3 different flights, the first time we missed 6 pictures, then 2 and last flight we had missed 6 pictures. Missing pictures are not consecutive and are random during the flight time, there is no obvious pattern.

Has anyone experience anything like this?

Happy new year!
julioall

Postby Tom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Hello Julio,

Never happened to me. Maybe the pulse is too short or the interval in between too short?

Happy new year!
Tom
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General