Photogrammetry with gluonpilot

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Photogrammetry with gluonpilot

Postby fba » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Hello, I´m testing the Ground Control station (0.9 beta) to planning the fly for photogrammetric survey an area (1x1 Km).
I try to do a plan to flight in strips shifted a fixed distance. In every flight line I shoot the camera using speed to compute the best time interval.
I have used this tool in Ground control Station:
Navigation/Helpers/Survey Polygon
But I´m newbie and do something wrong. Is there any guide, example or log to make it well ?
We can open a new thread like "Photogrammetry tool" for that, it could be a FAQ
Thanks
Last edited by fba on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francisco
fba

Re: Photogrammetry with gluonpilot

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 am

Moved to a new thread because it is another topic
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 am

Hello,

The correct steps are:
- Survey -> Create new (The block is called "Survey")
- Add waypoints that form a polygon
- Survey -> Build route (The block is now called "DoSurvey")

I think you clicked "build route" too soon!
Tom
Site Admin

Postby fba » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks, I did it well.
I don´t now if this features are enabled or not, but it could be good for further development or greats for a newbie user like me.

#1- Geotag the photos, to store GPS coordinates and altitude in every camera shutter.
#2- (Less important and I think more dificult) A fixed height over terrain surface not from the home position. The digital elevation terrain I think can be get from Google maps.
#3- drift servo......Shut up!, we are tired :D :D

Thanks, I will purchase the Guon pilot soon for a real test. ;) That´s what I´m looking for Image
fba

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm

1) Yes I do have geotagging software for gluonpilot. Until now I only made it available to some commercial companies.
2) Not interesting for geotagging: the stitching software also makes a 3D model and needs absolute altitude values for that
3) Drift servo? I'm never tired ;-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby fba » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Hello
#1 Sorry, I didn´t want say a wonderful Geotagging photos. I wanted to say that in the Datalogging excell file could be show one field with the moment at the camera shutter servo is "On" "value=1". The GPS time to link the shutter instant can be quantized (like MIDI music, here 1/4 second) to the first record after the On is enabled. So you have the airplane position when the camera is triggered. Very cool!

#2 May be it is crazy and so difficult development, I think not very useful but here I go... Due to changes on the terrain height surface we must use a safety height to avoid the hills but, I don´t know if the Gluponpilot height is computed from the take-off position by pressure or by the GPS, anyway, but ussing a Digital Terrain Model Elevation take from contour lines in Google Earth is an updated, So tha plane height is fixed to the real terrain. The problem is the memory to store the data. A raster file from 30x30 m grid, I don´t know :shock: .

#3 Like you stabilize the camera in roll or pitch angles . I think to hang the camera from a servo that lies in the yaw axis. The servo could correct the drift in the heading of the plane to real or computed azimuth, direction between previous and next waypoint in a flight line. So the photos are always parallels and lies in the computed direction from Ground Control Station avoiding the effects of the real flight, like a crab moves (as we say in Spain). A damping pivot uses the gravity force to correct the roll and pitch. In straight line. I suppose an angular pitch and roll not over to 10º, It is 2 cm or less in the camera lenses border. This only to use in not windy days.

i don´t want weary to you with my ideas, I will keep them for another day and a real test with the board. :oops:

I have read all Gluonpilot wiki. Next days more forum post but I think the commands in navigation editor and the option to test the flight before to do it are really really cool. Congratulations, enhorabuena
Francisco
fba

Postby kempo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Tom wrote:1) Yes I do have geotagging software for gluonpilot. Until now I only made it available to some commercial companies.
2) Not interesting for geotagging: the stitching software also makes a 3D model and needs absolute altitude values for that
3) Drift servo? I'm never tired ;-)

Hi Tom,

if you can , please post some pictures/examples made with your geotagging software. Also it would be nice to see the flightplan used for it.

I am preparing a dedicated plane for photomapping and Gluonpilot could be the best option :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=18
kempo

Postby Tom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Attached you can find a Pix4D report from last year.
Flying altitude was 110m, distance between lines about 80 or 100 meter (don't remember).

It was created using customized software (geotagging every image, but you could do it yourself using the log files). I am still unsure whether to release it or only make it available to commercial partners.
Attachments
test_report.pdf
(2.95 MiB) Downloaded 3644 times
Tom
Site Admin

Postby blagerst » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 am

Hi,
I would like to discuss how to use Gluon to trigger cameras and at the same time follow a flightplan.
One example in the Gluon manual is to use channel 6 to trigger a camera but this works only with manual command from GCS.
My question is how to do a flightplan using trigger combined with the normal FLY-TO waypoints?
What I would like to have is a continous trigger every X second to be ongoing while executing the normal waypoints.
Another interesting question is the possibility to have serial communication with a camera. The CHDK is mentioned in the manual. This solution make way for trigger and I guess also possibility to update EXIF data with location and angle orientation.
Is this solution possible with respect to Gluon hardware capacity ?

From market perspective this is the way to go but on the other hand cameras will soon have GPS and WiFi so maybe Gluon only need WiFi commands.
Best regards
/Bo
blagerst

Postby fba » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:41 am

blagerst wrote:Hi,
I would like to discuss how to use Gluon to trigger cameras and at the same time follow a flightplan.
One example in the Gluon manual is to use channel 6 to trigger a camera but this works only with manual command from GCS.
My question is how to do a flightplan using trigger combined with the normal FLY-TO waypoints?
What I would like to have is a continous trigger every X second to be ongoing while executing the normal waypoints.
Another interesting question is the possibility to have serial communication with a camera. The CHDK is mentioned in the manual. This solution make way for trigger and I guess also possibility to update EXIF data with location and angle orientation.
Is this solution possible with respect to Gluon hardware capacity ?

From market perspective this is the way to go but on the other hand cameras will soon have GPS and WiFi so maybe Gluon only need WiFi commands.
Best regards
/Bo

# 1- Read the previous post and the Tom´s answers to how do it, please. In the third step you must check the camera trigger time interval (like old interval meters using speed ground and height), strips interval and so more
====================
The correct steps are:
- Survey -> Create new (The block is called "Survey")
- Add waypoints that form a polygon
- Survey -> Build route (The block is now called "DoSurvey")
==================================

2# Previous post too. Tom wrote about position when the camera was shutter: "...but you could do it yourself using the log files". I will try to do this when the new units arrives, the best way in excell or text log file, I suppose
Last edited by fba on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Francisco
fba

Next

Return to General