Photogrammetry with gluonpilot

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: Photogrammetry with gluonpilot

Postby kempo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Hello all,

A short update : I have moved the autopilot from Skywalker X5 to FX-61 wing and after several flights I am quite satisfied - better flight time, better stability, easier to launch. Also besides the Canon SX230 camera I have a Canon S100 , both of them are working fine, as soon as the weather will allow I will compare them .

Tom, any firmware updates for photomapping purposes :) ?

Thank you.
kempo

Postby Tom » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Is this wing a lot better than the X-5? My X-5 is kinda sluggish and I want to replace it.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby small_rc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:45 pm

Your FX-61 has the R/C receiver mounted in the wing. Was the xBee causing interference? What is the all up weight? What size battery is that, it looks like a 4 cell 4000mah?

What range do you get with the telemetry?
small_rc

Postby kempo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:03 am

Tom wrote:Is this wing a lot better than the X-5? My X-5 is kinda sluggish and I want to replace it.

Tom, X5 is a very good wing but the main downside is launching, if not launched correctly the propeller could touch your hand/fingers.
As advantages of FX 61: much more stable, more space for your hardware, easier to launch, could be dismantled in 3 parts. In terms of flight time each 10 min of flight "eat" 1000mAh. I will post some videos soon.

If you need more info please let me know.

Thank you,
Alex
kempo

Postby kempo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:11 am

small_rc wrote:Your FX-61 has the R/C receiver mounted in the wing. Was the xBee causing interference? What is the all up weight? What size battery is that, it looks like a 4 cell 4000mah?

What range do you get with the telemetry?

Hi,
AUW is 1.6 kg- Canon S100 included, 3S 4400 mAh. Until now I had my flights done at LOS and there are issues with telemetry from time to time.
I am preparing some survey missions at 700 m distance from Home position, I will share the logs to see when the connection break.

Gluonpilot is a GREAT autopilot for survey missions, for both my wings it work out of the box!
kempo

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Glad you like it :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:00 am

Good morning,

Here is the result of my last flight :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO8QCEnOFQ4

What it would be nice to have is the area covered by the survey and total length of the theoretical survey lines ( I have posted some details on a older post) .This way it will be easier to program the survey area according with the battery, wind conditions....

Thank you.
kempo

Postby Tom » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Nice!

Here is the result of a recent render using Pix4D of a flight I did 3 years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bpCTPn ... e=youtu.be
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 am

Tom, the 3D is looking very good!

As update from my side , I have made lot of flights in the past days and I think that I have found a potential improvement. Here the situation: with the battery that I have I can do a flight of 13km length/12 minutes flight time/ 0.5 square kilometer covered area, but due to the fact that I do not know the length/surface of the theoretical survey mission I had to cancel the survey before to arrive to the end ( wrong estimation of the survey area)- the survey area was bigger than I estimated .

In this case I think that could be done a GS software improvement : on the Build route window, to have an option to build multiples survey blocks according with a condition. For example , the area covered by the theoretical survey is 1 square km, on the Build route window I could split the “big area” in survey blocks of 0.5 square km so as result I will have 2 Blocks : first to be used with first battery, second survey mission ( to start where first stopped) to be used using the second battery and so on. Like this it will be much easier in terms of survey planning, time spent to prepare the flights, overall view of the survey.

What do you think , it could be implemented? For all these things / proposals would be nice to have more opinions, feedback of the persons that are using Gluonpilot for photomapping :) .

Thank you.
kempo

Postby kempo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello,

During the mission trials I found a nice challenge : to do a photomapping mission over a river path. At the first sight it is simple : just add waypoints but it is not as simple as expected.

Due to the fact that the river does not have a straight flow , only using waypoints is difficul to cover it during 1 pass so theoretically it must be done at least 2 passes (like the railways) and to do this manually it is a nightmare.

Ia possible to develop this type of survey automatically ? So, initially to add manually waypoints just on the middle of the river path and after , function of the width /overlap, to be created automatically 2 or more parallel flight lines to cover all the survey area. It is feasible ?

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thank you.
kempo

PreviousNext

Return to General