GoPro3 and Funjet2

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

GoPro3 and Funjet2

Postby icebear » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi all,

With the release of the new lighter GoPro3 (75 grams) it seems more doable to use the GoPro with a Funjet Ultra.

In my light Ultra setup (600 grams) I was using a #16 Keychaincam with wide-angle lens and by putting the heavier GoPro3 up front I could move the battery all the way to back and remove power cables and two silver coins I had used to balance the plane - in total the GoPro adds just 20 grams.

Here are some pictures of a highly improvsied installation - I intend to make the nose of the Funjet removeable for a cleaner and less draggy installation... :D

/Björn
Attachments
Funjet_GoPro3.jpg
Funjet_GoPro3.jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 11585 times
GoPro3_funjet2.jpg
GoPro3 on the Fubjet Ultra
GoPro3_funjet2.jpg (138.54 KiB) Viewed 11585 times
icebear

Re: GoPro3 and Funjet2

Postby Tom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Wooow is that yet another new funjet? :-)

Looking cool, can't wait to buy a GoPro3 myself. Is it the black edition?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Tom wrote:Wooow is that yet another new funjet? :-)

Looking cool, can't wait to buy a GoPro3 myself. Is it the black edition?

No, no, - it is my "Funjet Ultra 2" - I crashed the white original Funjet on its second flight and decided to replace my trusty old Funjet Ultra with a lighter Ultra... This is the one I have been flying end of last season.

And YES it's the Black edition GoPro (not just black tape holding it in place :D )!

I sold my GoPro2 and some other stuff and got the new '3' with Wifi remote and there is even an Iphone app for it. It looks and works much like the older GoPro's but it seems the picture quality is a little improved (even if I don't see the 1440 and upward resolution very useful with my current PC, Mac , TV etc).

I hope to be able to post some video next week since we will be doing som crop monitoring at work with it!

/Björn
icebear

Postby Tom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Great! Could you try out the photos that are being taken while simultaneously shooting video? That looks to be the biggest advantage to me. Good video + photos in case I want to use it for enlargement or promotion or whatever...

How far does the iPhone app go? I guess that far enough for FPV? :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Tom wrote:Great! Could you try out the photos that are being taken while simultaneously shooting video? That looks to be the biggest advantage to me. Good video + photos in case I want to use it for enlargement or promotion or whatever...

How far does the iPhone app go? I guess that far enough for FPV? :-)

I did a few quick test flights this weekend and the video quality is stunning! I am actually impressed and I have had GoPro'2, Vado and other camcorders in the past.

Unfortunately the snow came after the weekend so I didnt have time to test stills but it sure looks promising! :mrgreen:

/Björn
icebear

Postby icebear » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:47 am

New video...

Here is a short video with the new GoPro3 cam. As mentioned I am really happy with the first results. The GoPro3 appears to have less barrell distortion and the level of detail in the 1080p video is the best I have seen in small camcorders. Colours and sharpness looks good straight out of the camera even if there is an option to record in a video format made for post-processing.

I only managed a few short flights since we had 6-7 m/s winds and therefore some footage is a bit shaky.

This time I used the Eppfly Glider wing, but the aim is of course to install it in the Funjet Ultra.

Enjoy!

/Björn

http://youtu.be/HwRg9DXltFo
icebear

Postby Tom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:18 am

Hey Bjorn,

Thanks for this brave winter flight :-)

Maybe you need some additional weight in the nose because this new gopro is lighter? The landing was a bit wobbly :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Tom wrote:Hey Bjorn,
Thanks for this brave winter flight :-)
Maybe you need some additional weight in the nose because this new gopro is lighter? The landing was a bit wobbly :-)

Thanks Tom! The Glider wing is not very good in high winds and it tends to sway back and forth quite a bit upwind so I think that's what was visible in the video. I moved my battery pack forward to balance so the CG was spot on! :D

Next up is to finish the Funjet mount - I like the stability of the Funjet and hope it will be a good combo if I can only figure out a good and reliable mount that's not too draggy...

Now it's -8 degrees outside and 10 cm snow so no flying this weekend...

/Björn
icebear

Return to General