Review X5 with Gluonpilot 2

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: Review X5 with Gluonpilot 2

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Hello,

The PPM connection should go to the first PWM-receiver input and set it to PPM in gluonconfig.
You have 3pins that contain GND, 5V and PPM input, so connect it with a servo connector to this port.

Yes this is correct, it shows the pinout also on the PCB.

Regards,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks to Tom and Icebear i have finished the X5 wing, unfortunately during the weekend it was windy and i did not had the chance to do the maiden flight.

Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be good enough to make some flights.

http://i42.tinypic.com/34i68uu.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/25iuiw1.jpg
kempo

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Looking good! Current wires a bit long?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Nice to see!Good luck with the maiden!

/BJorn
icebear

Postby kempo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Finally today i have made the maiden flight :) ( a small video is uploading on youtube right now) .

Observations :

1. the wing was balanced using 2 x 2.2A 3s lipo batteries - no issue with CG;
2. in Manual mode at launch it was a little bit unstable until i learned the trick : throttle at 50% and elevon to the left , after this it is flying ok;
3. before doing the flights i have used a bubble line level to obtain the "0 pitch / roll" , but , if i activate the stabilize mode it seems that is is going with few degrees down;
4.I did not tried Auto mode;
5.Stabilize mode is solid, it was a little bit windy but it has kept the wing almost perfectly level;
6. The satellites were acquired very fast!
7. I used firmware 0.9 and Groundstation 0.9 ( unfortunately my laptop battery is almost dead i saw the information only for few minutes - next investment a mini laptop).

Overall it was very good - autopilot and the wing, i planned tomorrow another session, this time i want to check the flight times and Auto mode(a very simple mission like takeoff and do circles over the Home position at 100m altitude.);

As always i have some questions:

1. in Stabilize mode i do not have as much authority as i want. For example i want to launch the wing in Stabilize mode and, if needed ,i want to take back the control, change the direction(but keeping the Stabilize mode). With the settings that i have now it is not enough. Can i change somehow the percentage of my input ?

2.If i load a mission to the Autopilot , the same mission will be executed if i will activate the Auto mode and also i the receiver will enter in Failsafe mode? On the last autopilot that i used it were 2 different behaviours ( user programmable - for example : on failsafe the plane will return to launch and on Auto mode activation will follow a flightplan);

3. Here is the flightplan that i want to use tomorrow : Climb to 50m, start to do circles over the Home position until it reach 75m , then start to follow 4 waypints at 100 m altitude. After all the waypoints are hit , to repeat the flightplan starting with the circle part ( this means to go from 100m altitude to 50m altitude). Please check the screen capture and tell me if it seems ok the flightplan.

Thank you for your help!

Alex
kempo

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi Alex,

Good news!
I see you are still using v0.9, v0.10 is better ;-) and google maps works again!

Yes my X5 also needs a lot of trimming, damn those chinese wings!

1. Could you explain this a bit further or document it with a video & your config file? Some other people complained about this too but I don't know whether they don't understand stabilise mode correctly or whether there actually is a problem.
You RC stick to full left should give a roll angle of 'max roll angle', like 45 degrees or so. The RC stick commands the roll angle. As soon as you center the stick it will go back to 0 roll angle.
Maybe the P-value should be increased for your setup?

2. Yes, failsafe just enables autopilot mode. You should use FlightPlanSwitch + your receiver's failsafe to trigger another block.

Be careful with relative coordinates: once the GP acquires a GPS lock, they will be translated to absolute coordinates. If you burn the navigation afterwards, it will be saving the absolute coordinates. So be careful when you are at home ;-)
This is annoying so I will fix it in the near future.

Good luck on the auto flight!

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 pm

PS: I see you are using XBee's. It's easy to declare different Blocks so you can try different routes in-flight.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Tom wrote:1. Could you explain this a bit further or document it with a video & your config file? Some other people complained about this too but I don't know whether they don't understand stabilise mode correctly or whether there actually is a problem.

Hi Tom,

I will try to explain a little bit mode with an example ( i do not have video for it) , my first trials with the x5 wing was to launch the plane - in manual mode- strong but without throttle ( the goal was to check the CG and the plane behavior). The first 2 launches finished in some tall grass, i did not had time to level the plane using the sticks.

The next trial was to launch the X5 wing in stabilize mode , without throttle. The wing glides very good.

Now i wanted to launch the x5 wing in stabilize mode, without throttle, and as soon as it has some meters away from me to give power to the motor and push the elevator stick down ( so the wing to go up).

The surprise was that after the launch, the wing- in stabilize mode- remained leveled , i gave throttle but when i pushed the elevator down it had not enough "force" to rise the wing, my input was not "tooked into considerations enough" so the wing finished again in some tall grass.

For me it was like in Stabilize mode , if i moved the sticks , my input was only 25% from the wing behavior, the rest of 75% was the autopilot.

What i consider to be useful is an option to be able to adjust , for Stabilize mode, the percentage of your input . For example i want the autopilot to be 100% responsible for the plane as long as i don't touch the sticks, but if i touch them i want to override the autopilot , me to be 100% responsible for the controls.

Regarding my config file , i changed only the servo mix output for elevons, the rest is untouched(default settings).

Sorry for my english , i speak better than i write :) .
kempo

Postby kempo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 am

This morning i was out again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRWQHH2FMxc

Nothing damaged :) but the launches seems to be the most interesting part from all the flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJMxixAmeQ

I have also tried Auto mode but it seems that the flightplan seemed to be NOK, the ideea is that the controller skipped the Circle part of the mission , it jumped directly to the 4 waypoints.

Another thing that i discovered is that i am not able to see the flight logs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOtk0hsEVi4

Maybe i'm not doing the things the right way...
kempo

Postby fba » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 am

Hello,
I do my firsts take-off with a Phantom 61 wing (1 Kg). I have seen the throttle is the most important thing, at 50-70% or more is enough and the plane glide by itself. I´m very surprised because I´m newbie too and I did well. I throw it from one side with left hand. See this video at 4:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJvRPPU ... m&index=23

Another possibility is to climb on automode or use this cheap catapult

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=39178
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhv2gx-as5w

Are you sure the log file is from a real flight? I´m not secure but I think Gluon can store logs from simulation flights or any time you power on to make bench tests, etc... so If you don´t have GPS data, etc... It can be faulty... I don´t know
Francisco
fba

PreviousNext

Return to General