Review X5 with Gluonpilot 2

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: Review X5 with Gluonpilot 2

Postby kempo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:00 am

Tom wrote:2. Could you elaborate? I don't really understand the question.

Tom

Hi Tom,

By trail I want to say the yellow line that describes the real flight on the plane seen on the groundstation. Now it seems to remain on the screen the trail for the last 4 minutes of flight ( for example if you are flying since 6 minutes , on the screen you have the yellow line for min 2:00 - min 6:00 , if you are flying since 10 minutes you have on the screen the yellow line for min 6:00 - 10:00). For me it is a little bit too long (there are moments when there are too many lines on the screen), that why i requested that maybe is possible to have an user defined option regarding this lenght.

Thank you,
Alex
kempo

Postby Tom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Good idea, it should be configurable indeed!
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Tom wrote:Good idea, it should be configurable indeed!

Good evening,

During my last flight I have pushed the X5 wing to it's limits :) , the wing had around 1,15kg and it was doing a survey flightplan.

After the survey (around 15minutes of flight /16km total path lenght in autopilot mode) was finished I was trying to bring the wing to the ground but due to the wind/no more battery left/ wing stall I had a very nice crash.

On the area where I am flying it is very tall grass and the the surface is not flat so to search on the area will not give some good results so the flight log saved into the groundstation/laptop helped me to find the crash site.

I have opened the Gluon Groundstation and replay the flight, paused at the end and go directly to the wing location, it was a relief to see it :) , minor damages to the wing , the only thing that suffer is the XBEE antenna that starts to broke:

As usual the list of questions/observations:

- If the Xbee antenna wire will broke completely what could go wrong besides the telemetry range ?
- Is there any type of replacement wire for antenna?
- as I said before I had a lot of chance to be able to reply the flightplan( I had more juice in the laptop battery), in a bad situation if also the laptop battery is almost finished it is very difficult to replay all the flight (even if you are using 16x you can skip the right timeframe) so my proposal is to see if is possible to implement on the Replay Control window a slidebar to go manually forward and backward:

Thank you for advices,
Alex
kempo

Postby Tom » Wed May 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Alex,

I had the same problem once. With some care, you can remove the antenna and re-solder it. The only part that is critical is the length. Mine still works.
When it is no longer connected to the board, I advice not to use it until you have resoldered it to the board. Otherwise you may burn the amplifier. If the wire itself is broken, any wire of the same length will do.

I know another way to replay the flight would be interesting, but this is not easy considering how it currently works... Maybe I can find a workaround.

I'm looking forward to the results of your long flight :-) Which version of GCS & groundstation did you use?

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Wed May 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Tom wrote:Hi Alex,

I had the same problem once. With some care, you can remove the antenna and re-solder it. The only part that is critical is the length. Mine still works.
When it is no longer connected to the board, I advice not to use it until you have resoldered it to the board. Otherwise you may burn the amplifier. If the wire itself is broken, any wire of the same length will do.

I know another way to replay the flight would be interesting, but this is not easy considering how it currently works... Maybe I can find a workaround.

I'm looking forward to the results of your long flight :-) Which version of GCS & groundstation did you use?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I will resolder the antenna.

I have used beta 10.4 firmware version - both for ground control station and autopilot ( I would love to try v10.5 but the issue with virus detection is giving me some issues).
kempo

Postby kempo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Until the FX-61 wing will be ready, I am doing exercises to catch the X5 wing.

This is how NOT to catch it :) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCzf6fO8hI
kempo

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 am

Very brave! :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Good evening,

Because the weather does not allow to do flights I have laser cut some 3mm thickness plywood to use as a layout board.

Not flight tested yet but , using it (rearrange the camera and the battery) I have removed 50gr. of lead from the wing nose.

There are some more improvements to be done in order to have the possibility to add a bungee hook and some protection for the camera lens.

kempo

Postby Tom » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:52 am

Nice work! Is it your own laser cutter?

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:56 am

Tom wrote:Nice work! Is it your own laser cutter?

Tom

Unfortunately no but if you want I can share the dwg files.
kempo

Previous

Return to General