Gluonpilot MAV

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: Gluonpilot MAV

Postby penguin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Björn,

why do you use the version with breakout-board instead gps without?

Rainer
penguin

Postby icebear » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:31 am

penguin wrote:Hi Björn,

why do you use the version with breakout-board instead gps without?

Rainer

Hi!

Since the GPS needs a backup battery/supercap and since the solder points o the gps itself are sooo tiny... :o
Ideally a smaller breakout board would be perfect...

/Björn
icebear

Postby penguin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Björn,

you could use this identical little one:

from here:
http://www.lipoly.de/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=880_1912_1917&products_id=160844

or Breakoutboard alone:
http://www.lipoly.de/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=880_1912_1917&products_id=158547

3V Lithium battery can be soldered with two short wires to the VBackup-pads and glued at the top-layer.

Rainer
Last edited by penguin on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penguin

Postby Tom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:09 pm

This one is similar to the one from Flytron (http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrackers ... odule.html), except it doesn't have a backup battery. Clearly the flytron one is better and cheaper for our purposes.

But Björn is refering to a newer one which is lighter due to a lower profile of the patch antenna. Unfortunately, no good breakout board is available yet... Maybe the future gluonpilot gps? :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Tom wrote:This one is similar to the one from Flytron (http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrackers ... odule.html), except it doesn't have a backup battery. Clearly the flytron one is better and cheaper for our purposes.

But Björn is refering to a newer one which is lighter due to a lower profile of the patch antenna. Unfortunately, no good breakout board is available yet... Maybe the future gluonpilot gps? :-)

Thanks for the tip about another breaout board Penguin (I have that GlobalTop module also). Like Tom points out this is the PA6H GlobalTop module - http://www.gtop-tech.com/en/product/PA6 ... le_04.html - which only weighs 4 grams. The 3egadgets board is nice, but if Tom could amke up a lighter version it would of course be great for us MAV enthusiasts! :mrgreen:
icebear

Postby penguin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Ok, thickness is a new requirement :shock: Now the problem is clear to me... thanks for explanation!
penguin

Postby icebear » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:26 pm

While awaiting the GP2 (and better weather) I have been busy making plans for the new autopilot.

This summer I flew the MS Compospite Mini Swift with GP and camcorder and it had a wingspan of 50 cm and weighed around 150 grams.

I found out that there is a Micro Swift and it has a wingspan of 40 cm. A perfect testbed for the new smaller Gluonpilot... Another step towards 25 cm.

At the same time I ordered the Swift II which has 80 cm wingspan and it may be a hand wing for larger cameras and it is VERY light.

Here aresome pictures...

/Björn
Attachments
wings_small.jpg
Comparison between Swift II (80 cm), Mini Swift (50 cm) and Micro Swift (40 cm)
wings_small.jpg (177.58 KiB) Viewed 8597 times
swiftmicro.jpg
The Swift Micro @50 grams + battery with a nice Potensky motor
swiftmicro.jpg (180.26 KiB) Viewed 8597 times
icebear

Postby Tom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm

All that's missing now is a lightweight GPS unit (work in progress) and a lightweight XBee board.

I was planning to etch such boards myself but haven't found time yet... Maybe I should place a bet and have some PCB's made right away!
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 am

Tom wrote:All that's missing now is a lightweight GPS unit (work in progress) and a lightweight XBee board.
I was planning to etch such boards myself but haven't found time yet... Maybe I should place a bet and have some PCB's made right away!

I know for sure that I would buy a bunch from you... :D
I got some XBee sockets from Sparkfun that I intend to use and if the SwiftMicro can carry the 7-8g's heavy "3egadegts" GPS board, I will have an 80 g MAV...!
I guess we could be looking at a full featured Atto with GPS and Xbee @ 20 grams or so?

/Björn
icebear

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 am

Atto? I thought you sold all your attos? ;-)

Yes I think 20 grams should be feasible. I could also try to make an extension board with XBee sockets + GPS. The problem here is the connectors might add a lot of weight so we would need to optimize that.

Those 80gr @ 40cm would already be a great job! I remember my "thesis" MAV of 40cm was 120grams and still flew great (even not too fast, but I think the total wing area was larger).
We use this beast inside, only for attitude calculations!
Tom
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General