Gluonpilot MAV

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: Gluonpilot MAV

Postby icebear » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Tom wrote:Atto? I thought you sold all your attos? ;-)

Yes I think 20 grams should be feasible. I could also try to make an extension board with XBee sockets + GPS. The problem here is the connectors might add a lot of weight so we would need to optimize that.

Oops! :o I meant Gluon of course!

Now that we are getting down to those low weights, cables and connectors become the major things to save weight. Like 'penguin' suggested enameled wire would be lightest but I will look at some flat cables between Rx->GP->GPS etc and see what hardwiring could do.

/Björn
icebear

Postby icebear » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Now I have test flown the Micro Swift but also added another candidate for the Gluonpilot2 MAV;

- The Micro Stryker from Eflite - it weighs 50 grams excl battery and has about 40 cm wingspan and it flies very nice and stable even in wind. Just like a really small Funjet!

The Micro Swift flies OK but it has a tendency to get stuck in a dive both with power off and power on. I recall this behavior from other 'pushers' - anyone know if t can be rectified (CG, trim etc).

The Stryker has 4 servos (two rudders + elevons) and a small Spektrum rx/ESC board. It would be fun to modify it for the GP2 :mrgreen: .

Here's a picture for size reference.

/Bjorn
Attachments
stryker_swift_micro.jpg
The Micro Swift and Micro Stryker
stryker_swift_micro.jpg (172.34 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
icebear

Postby icebear » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:11 am

I have decided to use the Micro Stryker as a first testbed for the next step towards a MAV.

I removed the combined rx/ESC, the two rudder servos and in total this weighs 14 grams. Therefore it should be possible to have a complete setup weighing around 80 grams which is just 10 grams more than the stock setup.

The following components will be added:

- Spektrum Nanolite receiver AR6300 6ch
- Micro ESC YGE 8AMP
- Gluonpilot 2
- Globaltop GPS PA6H
- XBEE with adapter board
- Elevon servos (stock)
- Hyoerion 2S-240 mAh LiPO

Now I am just awaiting the new Gluonpiot :D

/Björn
Attachments
stryker46g.jpg
The Stryker without gear - 46 grams empty
stryker46g.jpg (134.11 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
components.jpg
Components removed from the original setup
components.jpg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
stryker_batt_60g.jpg
Stryker empty with Hyperion battery
stryker_batt_60g.jpg (128.87 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
icebear

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Cant wait to see the results! A ready to fly weig of 80 grams would be exceptional! I know they have camera + video tx for about 5 grams as well... ;-)

I'm going to ship all pre ordered gp2's next week when the brand new stickers arrive :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:33 am

Tom wrote:I'm going to ship all pre ordered gp2's next week when the brand new stickers arrive :-)

Wow - that sounds great! I hope to be able to get it airborne before the winter arrrives - +7 degrees yesterday!

/Björn
icebear

Previous

Return to General