New 1.2 meter wing tested

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

New 1.2 meter wing tested

Postby icebear » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi all,

I just aquired an 1.2 meter wing ("Glider") from eppfly in Germany.

After testig the 1 meter Popwing it was evident that I needed a slightly bigger airframe for stability and capability to carry a 100-150g camcorder.

I have installed the GP and covered the wing in Orastick (thanks Eddi!) and made a short test run today.

The Glider is more stable in roll but flew a little sluggish as I set the P-term low to start with. Still it flew the track nicely and it will be fun to see how it performs when trimmed out.

Here are some pics.

/Bjorn
Attachments
car.jpg
Fits nicely in my SAAB!
car.jpg (304.93 KiB) Viewed 11692 times
icebear

Re: New 1.2 meter wing tested

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:16 pm

It would even fit in my small beemer ;-)

Nice red finishing touch! Oracover?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:20 am

Tom wrote:It would even fit in my small beemer ;-)

Nice red finishing touch! Oracover?

Thanks! The covering is Orastik from Holleinshop - the same as Eddi used on his Funjet. It has some wrinkles but good enough - EPP is hard to over nicely...

The wing weighs 400 grams incl all gear and about 600 grams with camera and 2S2500 pack.

Tonight I will see how it performs after some tuning! :mrgreen:

/Bjorn
icebear

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 am

Wow that's light! Almost as light as my smaller 1 meter wing, so maybe your wing-loading is even less!

What motor are you using? An endurance test would also be interesting :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

Tom wrote:Wow that's light! Almost as light as my smaller 1 meter wing, so maybe your wing-loading is even less!

What motor are you using? An endurance test would also be interesting :-)

Hi,
I am using a cheap ourunner Arrowwind ARW 2210-30 kv 1300 that I initailly bought for the Popwing.
It looks and sounds OK, but I will probably exchange it soon for the Hyperion which is so nice and quiet.
I will dio an endurance test later today hopefully!

A quick question;

When setting up the Glider I had to dial in quite a bit of UP trim and also quite some LEFT trim. The battery pack sits a little to the right so that may cause it BUT when balancing the plane I am right on the recommended CG for "pitch" and the extra weight on the right side is just causing CG for "roll" to be 0,5-1cm off the center line.

Would it be useful to change motot thrustline rather than trim the plane for level flight?

I also noted that you Tom had taken away D-term and aileron differential in your config file for your wing compared to the Funjet - any comment on this?

Thanks!

Bjorn
icebear

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:41 am

Having a good D-term makes the system fly more "on rails", but it takes a lot longer to get it right. It also requires more testing in different conditions (wind, speed, payload) to make sure the D-term doesn't overcompensate at a certain point.
Apparently I was happy with the tuning and never bothered to use the D-term. The funjet is a lot older and I used to have more time to tune it :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:19 am

Tom wrote:Having a good D-term makes the system fly more "on rails", but it takes a lot longer to get it right. It also requires more testing in different conditions (wind, speed, payload) to make sure the D-term doesn't overcompensate at a certain point.
Apparently I was happy with the tuning and never bothered to use the D-term. The funjet is a lot older and I used to have more time to tune it :-)

Ahh... I figured it would be something like that! I hope to be able to spend more time optimizing the 1.2 meter wing.

I saw you also took away aileron differential. Is it because you had some mechanical differential or that you didnt need it becasue fo the nature of the wing?

Thabnks,

Bjorn
icebear

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Some thing,
During flight tests I never really saw any "big" benefit from the differential mode. Maybe another endurance test with and without differential elevons could show the benefit.
I guess big gliders are happy with that, but small wings? dunno...

I also have to give my 1m wing a quite lot of aileron trim, maybe the EPP pieces are not perfectly glued?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 am

Tom wrote:Some thing,
During flight tests I never really saw any "big" benefit from the differential mode. Maybe another endurance test with and without differential elevons could show the benefit.
I guess big gliders are happy with that, but small wings? dunno...

I also have to give my 1m wing a quite lot of aileron trim, maybe the EPP pieces are not perfectly glued?

OK, thanks for the input.
It could be as you say the wing is not absolutely straight and in my case the ailerons are balsa and taped and this could also be a bit imperfect.

Good to hear yours needed some trim too. I will move CG back a bif tonight and also add some P-term and see if I can get a perfect setup! :mrgreen:

More soon...
/Bjorn
icebear

Postby icebear » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Yesterday was a good day for flight testing so I loaded my standard test pattern into the Glider and setup for a bit more P-term for roll and trimmed for good level flight before taking off.

It is evident that the 1,2 m wing glides a lot better than my previous Popwing and it is also more stable in roll.

I had two good flights with climbs to 300 meters and only used only about 33% in the pack (2S2500mAh).

Stille some tuning to do and possibly motor upgrade - but so far the EPPfly glider shines! :mrgreen:

A question;

- The wing requires quite a bit of LEFT trim. Could it be because of motor torque OR that the battery sits a little tp the RIGHT causing CG to shift 1 cm to the right of the center line?

Thanks,

BJörn
Attachments
glider_gras.jpg
1.2 meter glider from Eppfly
glider_gras.jpg (479.04 KiB) Viewed 11645 times
icebear

Next

Return to General