New 1.2 meter wing tested

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Re: New 1.2 meter wing tested

Postby Tom » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 am

Indeed the camera is sharper and the colors look better too. It seems like the GoPro 2 does live up to the hype. Is the difference with the keychain cam worth the cost (10x)? There still seems to be some jello. Some more tape? :-)

Yes I know the windsock isn't accurate. It is calculated on the GCS side, where it doesn't have all the needed data. When all the high-priority tasks are finished, I will take a look at implementing it on the module, which should be more accurate.
Still, I believe it's more valuable to have a not very precise wind estimation rather than none... or is it so badly off? :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 am

Tom wrote:Indeed the camera is sharper and the colors look better too. It seems like the GoPro 2 does live up to the hype. Is the difference with the keychain cam worth the cost (10x)? There still seems to be some jello. Some more tape? :-)

Yes I know the windsock isn't accurate. It is calculated on the GCS side, where it doesn't have all the needed data. When all the high-priority tasks are finished, I will take a look at implementing it on the module, which should be more accurate.
Still, I believe it's more valuable to have a not very precise wind estimation rather than none... or is it so badly off? :-)

You're right - I need to fasten the camera better to avoid jello! :D This was just a quick test after having bought the camera the same day.
But for quality I would say it's worth the money so far... I guess it is up to priorities as usual. :shock:

The windsock is really good as a feature - I have just found that it is always about 2-3 m/s lower than the actual wind (IMHO that is!) and thought the calculation could be looked into. BUT it is definitely good to have there even if it is on the low side...

/Bjorn
icebear

Postby Tom » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

Do you have the feeling the wind direction is most of the time accurate enough, but only the speed is off (too low)? Maybe there is a scaling issue in the calculation. I shall take a look at it :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Tom wrote:Do you have the feeling the wind direction is most of the time accurate enough, but only the speed is off (too low)? Maybe there is a scaling issue in the calculation. I shall take a look at it :-)

From what I recall the wind direction is about right after a little while but as said on the low side... I am guessing about 2-3 m/s lower than actual.

/Björn
icebear

Postby icebear » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Yesterday was a calm day after weeks of rain and heavy winds so I finally got a chance to try out the GoPro2.

The Glider1200 is now properly setup and trimmed and I did a "photo mission" over our area.

I will post the video and stills on YouTube soon.

In the meantime here are som photos.

Enjoy!

/Björn
Attachments
track.jpg
The track in GCS
track.jpg (188.28 KiB) Viewed 9175 times
glider_small.jpg
Coming in to land on auto
glider_small.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 9175 times
glider_landed.jpg
Glider1200 after the flight
glider_landed.jpg (213.65 KiB) Viewed 9175 times
icebear

Postby icebear » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I shot a new video with my new GoPro2 cam yesterday here's some footage from 400 m's down to zero... :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNExdziaAsw&list=UUpkvg9XoKY5zbuBFPXiyvfg&index=1&feature=plcp
icebear

Postby Tom » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Wooow amazing stable and beautiful video! I think my keychain cam will loose its privilege soon :)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby lukasz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:06 am

Nice.
I also own a GoPro2 and do some flying with it.
Need to post some videos.
What fov do you set when flying?
What video editing tool do you use?
lukasz

Postby Tom » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:15 am

Bjorn,

The descent looks to be a little more unstable. What could be the reason? No motor running + small pitch angle = almost stalling?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Tom wrote:Wooow amazing stable and beautiful video! I think my keychain cam will loose its privilege soon :)

Thanks Tom! My goal is to make the ultimate promotion video for the Gluon pilot of course ;)

The descent looks to be a little more unstable. What could be the reason? No motor running + small pitch angle = almost stalling?

Yes, if you mean the descent at the end from 30 meters or so, the Glider stalls a little when auto landing but not too bad, it just sways a little back and forth...
The video was taken from 400 meters descending down to 60 meters and then auto-land - I still have some vibration when the motor is running so I will try to secure the cam better and also try a smaller 7x5 prop since the 8x6 causes more vibration.
icebear

PreviousNext

Return to General