New Replay camcorder - hand catch and question

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

New Replay camcorder - hand catch and question

Postby icebear » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi,

Weather has been nice so I have been flying my Popwing setup extensively these last days of vacation.
Even managed a trip out over the sea :mrgreen:

Anyway, here is a video of an auto takeoff & land with the Replay XD HD camcorder - I will throw away my #16 camcorders now... :lol:

Today something funny happened - after recalibrating at home, the altitude readings went crazy. Either sinking or rising giving crazy readouts. After re-calibrating at the field everything was OK. Could this be a "bad" callibration (since I used the Xbees) or could it be my pressure sensor? Ideas welcome!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95CGzw16XG0

/Björn
icebear

Re: New Replay camcorder - hand catch and question

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi Björn,

Your auto-land skills are definitely better than mine now :-)

The replay XD looks a lot more stable in colors, but the green grass field seems over-saturated? Or is it youtube?

The calibration has nothing to do with the pressure sensors... Was it very hot? Are you using a recent firmware version?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Tom wrote:Hi Björn,

Your auto-land skills are definitely better than mine now :-)
The replay XD looks a lot more stable in colors, but the green grass field seems over-saturated? Or is it youtube?
The calibration has nothing to do with the pressure sensors... Was it very hot? Are you using a recent firmware version?

Thanks - I am starting to like how you laid out the autoland properties - it is very easy to plan and predict for arrival once you get to know your airfram characteristics. I wouldnt dream of doing that with the Funjet though... :o

The color saturation etc of the Replay are user definable so I will definitely need to tame it a bit. The clarity and detail is however very nice - youtube destroys some of it but the colour issue is from the cam which I think I can easily turn down a bit.

Re the pressure sensor, it was sunny 22 degrees and the problem came up after I had recalibrated at home. I tried opening up the equipment bay of the Popwing (it was sealed with tape), rebooting, loading a previously saved config file - all to no avail. After each re-boot the altitude went to zero but then started to increase meter by meter and even went to thousands of meters a few times when flying (making auto flight impossible). I have saved the GCS recording. I am using the latest Beta version.
Then after re-calibration everything was OK again and I did a good flight and everything was OK.

Could it be an issue with my board since it is the one that went into the sea? I have had 50 good flights in a month since the "seadive" so I put it down to calibration, but it must be something else then?

/Bjorn
icebear

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I can only imaging a pressure sensor failure with the scenario you are describing... Might be due to the salty water you landed in :-)

If it would fail again: the latest software/firmware has an option to only use the GPS altitude... might be tricky for auto-landings, but normal flight should be OK.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby icebear » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 am

OK, I will watch out for it and thanks for the tip about GPS altitude!

/Björn
icebear

Return to General