Servo Neutral and EPA

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Servo Neutral and EPA

Postby D4RK1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm

I´ve found the Tab "Servos" in the Configuration Menu... but I can´t make any changes there... why is that? And even if it worked... I would still need to trim the portion of the overall servo travel that is used for "Elevator". How is that done?

Am i going about this all wrong? Right now i would like to trim my plane for manual flight. I started with a clean setup, no mixing at all... The control surfaces move in the right directions (Delta+), but the travel is far too much.

How do i go about fixing that?

The Manual says:

Code: Select all
Now (and during the manual-only flights) is the time to trim your servos with your RC-transmitter. DONT program expo or limit the min/max throws of the servos in your transmitter!

I am pretty used to flying with Expo... and if i can´t limit the min/max throws.. how am i supposed to get a flyable plane?
D4RK1

Re: Servo Neutral and EPA

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 am

Hi,

There are 2 options for trimming:
1. Auto-trim:
Trim your plane in manual mode using the RC-transmitter. Reboot the gluonpilot and keep the trims on your RC-remote. The autopilot will assume the neutral values to be the first values it receives from the RC-remote at startup. (you can't configure min and max values in autopilot mode here).
2. Manual trim (only available from version 0.8!)
Manually adapt the settings in gluon config as you described.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby D4RK1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Tom...

not sure I understand...

First option would be to just trim the plane in Manual mode, using the transmitter options.. EPA, Expo and so on.... after that, I reboot the module.

Is there a downside to that option?

Second option, i use version 0.8 (which hasn´t been flight-tested yet???). I trim the servo throws via manual trim. Here I can limit the throws of the individual functions, elevator and aileron, which would affect the delta mixing?

What about Expo.. as I stated before, I like using Expo.. could I still use Expo via the transmitter?

Cheers, Jens
D4RK1

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Jens,

The downside of solution 1 is that your transmitter should be turned on (and with sticks neutral & gas low) at startup. When you do auto-takeoff and landing, you will only need your transmitter for these trim settings and this will become annoying :-) Also it is not possible to specify min and max travels (but most people don't need this anyway. Basically this is the best option for beginners.

You can leave Expo if you prefer to fly like that in manual mode.

Also you shouldn't use any mixing because gluonpilot does the mixing for you.

Version 0.8 is safe to fly but contains some minor bugs.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby D4RK1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm

ok, so as long as i don´t want to do autotakeoffs and -landings, i can simply trim via the transmitter like i would a "normal" plane with Ailerons and Elevator, by trimming Ail and Ele i can change the "mix settings".

I think i will wait until you judge the 0.8 to be bug-free and it is the official version. Then i will take a look at doing the trimming via the gluonconfig. I am not really interested in auto-takeoffs and landings, so, at least for now, i will go for the first option.

Thanks for clearing that up for me =)

Cheers, Jens
D4RK1

Return to General