Gluonpilot stability/reliability?

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Gluonpilot stability/reliability?

Postby Konkani_70 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:35 am

Hello guys!!

I have been checking out Gluonpilot for a couple of weeks now and it seems like a very impressive and complete autopilot so far, one question I would like to ask is how stable is the code and platform overall at this point? Can it be compared to commercial mature systems like Atto and Picopilot?

I would like to strap it on a 2.5m glider and it's carrying some rather expensive hardware, I keep hearing stories with other open source autopilots where airplanes just uncontrollably "fly away into the sunset" and simply falling from the sky and this really concerns me. What do you think guys?
Konkani_70

Re: Gluonpilot stability/reliability?

Postby e_lm_70 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 pm

I have just got my GluonPilot from Tom, still not maiden ... can't really comment on stability

But I hope I did my research good when I decide to buy this "toy".

Your post let me think of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgKxXXZ45QM

Who knows, once you activate the GluonPilot your bird may go in the direction of Belgium :mrgreen:

Anyhow, for me the big plus, are:
* RTF system ... no hacking, 1 complete board + GPS
* Open source
* Incredible set of already implemented feature from Tom
* Apparent good history
* EU base, so no custom here.

Only minus ... a bit expensive, but there is no real RTF cheaper solution, especially from EU since custom taxes are high for non cheap goods.

I'm planing to make 1 hour unassisted flight with my 180cm wing with this UAV.

I'm tuning right now the Firmware for handle the FrSky module ... the first fights I want to follow them from the FrSky telemetry ... actually already re-flashed my board with my hacked code ... wow ... it is quite straight forward and fast to modify the code.

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Hello,

Gluonpilot doesn't have any stability issues. Most mistakes are related to the operator and not the autopilot.
Once it works it won't fail on you, but it might take you some time to understand how it works and how to operate it.

I never flew big sailplanes so I can't comment on the Gluonpilot in it, but Andrey can:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=295#p1534

I'm sure you can ask him if you have some questions on big sail planes.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Konkani_70 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Then I guess I have no excuse, I'll give Gluon a try as soon as I get my setup tight and complete. I'll let you know how it goes!
Konkani_70

Postby RedSun » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:31 pm

2 Konkani_70 :

About stability.
Autopilots do not fly by itself. They MUST be correctly installed and tuned BEFORE flight. Most cases of autopilot controlled fly-aways and plane drops was caused by wrong setups, incomplete pre-flight sequences or overrided limitations. Good flight is prepared on earth.
About GluonPilot.
It's hardware is very good. Sensors are enough precise and low-noise. CPU is powerful to implement some clever alghorythms. PCB is accurate and provide flexible power connection. Firmware is open-source and transparent.
For you to decide ;)
RedSun

Return to General