Flaperons

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Flaperons

Postby A.Kirillin » Wed May 18, 2011 6:29 am

Hi All! Hi, Tom!
I really liked Gluon!
For use in glider Gluonpilot I need flaperons. Without flaperons my glider is impossible to land in the right place. It flies well too :-)
I'd really like to see this mixer in the next version. Functionally it is similar to the mixer elevon (delta + / delta-), but instead feed elevator to use designated idle channel.
I tried to do the job himself. I did a firmware, but could not deal with code Gluonconfig. I am afraid that it would take me too long.
Sorry for my bad English. Thank you!
A.Kirillin

Re: Flaperons

Postby Tom » Sat May 21, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks for your feedback.
I will add another mixing "Aileron + flaperon" in the next release!
Tom
Site Admin

Postby A.Kirillin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:43 am

Tom wrote:Thanks for your feedback.
I will add another mixing "Aileron + flaperon" in the next release!

A small, modest reminder ... ;)
A.Kirillin

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:05 am

Oh right!
Can I use the "yaw" channel as flaperon channel? (not used for the autopilot anyway)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby A.Kirillin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 am

Tom wrote:Can I use the "yaw" channel as flaperon channel? (not used for the autopilot anyway)

I would like to use a free RC input channel. Otherwise have to connect the rudder to the PWM output of the receiver. But if my option would create difficulties to you,then I agree with your version. :)
Thank you!
A.Kirillin

Postby A.Kirillin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Tom wrote:Oh right!
Can I use the "yaw" channel as flaperon channel? (not used for the autopilot anyway)

Hi!
A little more thinking. :roll:
I plan to use a new receiver Frsky TFR4 (Futaba FASST compatible). This receiver (in 8-channel mode) has only two output Connectors: CPPM (8 channels) and RSSI (PWM). Rudder can be connected only to Gluonpilot. It is better not to use the "yaw" channel as flaperon channel . I would like to use a free RC input channel.
Thank you!
A.Kirillin

Postby A.Kirillin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi!
Test flights with the flaperons are successful. Also confirmed the possibility of sharing in a model RX FutabaR606FS(2.4) with ppm out and XbeePro2.4 with wire antenna (white). The maximum distance and maximum height of about 450m. At this distance twice lost eye contact and turned on the autopilot mode "return home". It would be nice to add the navigation commands include one or two fixed positions flaperons (or channel "flaps") in the mode "landing."
Attachments
IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg (175.76 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
A.Kirillin

Postby Tom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 pm

It's great to see the gluonpilot in such a high-performance plane!

Are you talking about flaperons in autopilot-landing? The current landing has been optimized for flying wings... I kind of doubt you wish to try it with such a plane... Barometric altitude can be 10 meters wrong on a long flight. So basically I start at 20-30 meters altitude and fly ahead without motor. I'm sure your glider would keep gliding for a loog distance before it lands.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby A.Kirillin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 am

Yes, it is quite nimble model :) . About 700 watt of electrical power. 2000 mm wingspan, 1.540 kg weight (without GOPRO camera). To my regret, Rudder connected directly to the PWM output of the receiver (ch6). Ch1-ch5 use homemade PPM output receiver(see link to the Wiki).

I use the flaperon as an air brake. I reject the ailerons up to 40-50 degrees. At the same time control the roll remains.
In this case the plane down on a rather steep descent trajectory. Speed is reduced immediately. I'd like to try the automatic approach. I plan to touch the ground on this model in manual mode.

I liked the implementation of the flaps in the project ardupilot-mega: http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Flaps
A.Kirillin

Postby A.Kirillin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:56 am

Attention!
Aileron-flaperon mixer is not working properly. For the test flight, I used my patched firmware. In version 0.7.2 the problem remains too!
I can tell you about changes in the firmware (If Tom is not against it), ask.
A.Kirillin

Next

Return to General