Beginner questions, nice project!

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

Beginner questions, nice project!

Postby jorrie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 am

Hi everyone,
Someone on a forum in my native language told me about you guys and this project which is amazing.
Im fairly beginner with this kind of thing, so please excuse if I have any silly questions ;)
I have looked into the commercial hoverfly pro flightcontroller but its rather expensive and there is no GPS on board, also there is not this neat software for flightplanning and tracking. And as a coder myself I embrace open standards and the opensource principle!

I want to build a quadcopter wich is basically a frame in X normally you could put 1 engine on each end, but I want to put 2 engines on each end of the X so there will be 2 motors , 1 pull and 1 push. I see this can be done with the gluonpilot stabilization, but how good is it compared to commercial solutions live hoverfly? I really need the most stable solid flight since I plan to use my copter for photography. So it can be done http://www.gluonpilot.com/wiki/Quadrocopter but how smooth solid is it?

Just some advanched features that would be very nice to have, are any of those supported?
- does the software has some track target
- come to home gps is supported right?
- is there some solution to a add a videosystem or control a camera mount true the chipset?
- something like a videodownlink?

How about stabilization and keep altitude on a quadcopter anyone can help me out with some basic information? Really nice project, keep up the good work, and if this project is what i look for you can count yourself another coder ;) would love to code for this
jorrie

Re: Beginner questions, nice project!

Postby Tom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Hello Jorrie,

As you might have noticed on the website, the current development was mostly aimed at fixed-wing aircraft. To proof the hardware can also be used for quadrocopters, a small adaptation was made to do some tests with it.

Currently only stabilization works for quadrocopters. Navigation and all the other things work for fixed wing aircraft, but not yet for quadrocopters... We are working on it in our spare time, but it'll take a couple more months before navigation works for quadrocopters too.

It should be as solid and smooth as any other quadrocopter, because the sensors and algorithms are mostly the same on other quads.

There's university team working on using the gluonpilot in a coaxial helicopter, maybe you can jump in with them!
Tom
Site Admin

Return to General