PPM Encoder

General discussions on the Gluon-project that don't fit elsewhere. If required, I will create more subforums.

Moderator: lukasz

PPM Encoder

Postby BrettR » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 am

Is it OK to use a PPM encoder or should I just keep it simple and buy a receiver that is modifiable?

Thanks!

PS
Great project! I've been sitting on my Gluonpilot for almost a year now but hope to have something flying this winter...
BrettR

Re: PPM Encoder

Postby Mitch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 am

You can connect each channel from your receiver separately - PWM. This option doesn't require any encoder nor a tapped receiver.
Mitch

Postby BrettR » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:15 am

Yeah, I was looking at that as well.

Just thinking down the road when I may need more than the 5 channels (doubtful) or go to a 2.4 GHz radio but just ran across the PPM encoders over at the Paparazzi website.

-Brett
BrettR

Postby Mitch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:23 am

The encoder will work but adds a level of complexity that isn't really necessary. Receivers are so inexpensive anymore that buying one to tap is almost as inexpensive as the encoder! You can buy a 3 channel receiver, tap the ppm, and all of your transmitter channels will be available.

There are now a few 2.4ghz receivers that can be tapped also. Frsky is manufacturing one that already has an external connector for PPM! Been waiting for that!
Mitch

Postby BrettR » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:12 am

Great, thanks for the info! I'll have to look into that. I didn't realize I could get all the channels with a 'lesser' receiver.

Still much reading to do...
BrettR

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks Mitch for pointing this out! This is the receiver with PPM-output:
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=48

If you wish 35/40MHz receivers with PPM, you can buy one from ACT (or hack one yourself)
Tom
Site Admin

Return to General