GP1 Auto Throttle Issue

Here is the place for all your dsPic or autopilot questions.

Moderator: lukasz

GP1 Auto Throttle Issue

Postby dejan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 am

Hello everybody:

I went yesterday to fly with the GP1 and I had weird behaviour with the Auto Throttle. It was set in auto mode fully working but a few minutes after taking off and flying in navigation mode I noticed that something was wrong. The Auto Throttle changed into manual and I had to use the stick to control the motor.
I landed and checked the config and it says Manual mode and all the params 0 (min, cruise and max). I changed again to auto mode with my custom params, write, burn, unplug and plug the battery and check the config and it was OK. Then a test on the ground and working.

After that another flight and it happened the same, in the middle of the flight after several minutes the auto throttle quit working and on the ground the config says manual modes and all the params 0 again. I made another 4 flights and in all of then happened the same sometimes a few minutes after taking off and sometimes in less than a minute.

Any idea?.

Thanks.
dejan

Re: GP1 Auto Throttle Issue

Postby dejan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:56 pm

I have been testing during the day at home with the simulation and I have the same problem but only when I use the telemetry. Using the FTDI cable all worked perfectly. This made me think that the only thing that changed from the last flight when it worked is that the radio modem. I was using a new pair of RD instead of the usual ones.

Tho old ones are XBEE 868 and the new ones are the RFD900. Does anybody have these Radio modems installed?

Thanks.
dejan

Postby Tom » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:55 pm

I have never experienced a problem similar to this!

Just out of the blue the configuration is turned back to the "factory settings"?
What firmware are you using? Is the new modem reliable or does it output a lot of random data? Can you send a logfile?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby dejan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Hello Tom:

This afternoon I´ve been making simulations with the GP2 module and the problem continues. Right now I have this problem with de GP1 with firmware 0.8 and with the GP2 with firmware 0.9 Beta2.
The firmware does not revert all to factory settings, it only changes the config of the auto throttle to manual and all the params to 0.

Attached is the Log of the last simulation, the auto throttle quit working suddenly in the following line

[03/01/2028 19:53:14.265] Error checksum
[03/01/2028 19:53:14.265] ERROR received data: $TR;32838;32827;

Thanks,

Santiago.
Attachments
20280301_194836.rar
(47.32 KiB) Downloaded 1518 times
dejan

Postby dejan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Hello,

I think that I fixed the problem. I realized that this was happening every 5 min after starting the module and this is when the GP sends the Xbee reset code, I made a compilation of the firmware without the Xbee reset code and now works perfectly.

It seems that the Xbee reset code with this radio modem makes the Gluon reset the Auto Throttle, this is what happens in my case. I have tried Xbee pro 868, Xtend and RFD900 and only have this problem with the last one.
dejan

Postby Tom » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 pm

I think I may have found a reason:
* The reset command it ++++ATFR
* The autothrottle set command is AT;x;x;x

So they both start with AT. A bad communication might insert a newline and the gluonpilot will interprete it as a set autothrottle command. Keep in mind the latest version will only accept this when the checksum is correct, the older version does not.
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Firmware