GP2 current sensor and OSD

Here is the place for all your dsPic or autopilot questions.

Moderator: lukasz

GP2 current sensor and OSD

Postby dejan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello everybody!

Finally the rain stopped and I could make my first flights with the GP2 module. I installed the GP2 in the same airframe where it used to be the old one and I tried with the same config. The plane flies very well, I feel to say that much better than with the old one specially the Auto-Thottle that runs very smooth. I made 3 flights with it and the behavior is perfect in stabilized and in Auto mode with auto take-off and several waypoints.

But I have a cuople of problems with it...

First, I see that my current sensor does not mesaure correctly, It says that at full throttle is taking 16ah from the battery but I have tested at home that it drawns 32Ah. With the mAh consumed the problem is the opposite, when landed says that it where drawn 8830mah fom the battery but when I made the recharge the batteries chraged 3900mah that seems more realistic in accordance of the time fliying and past flights with the other planes.

Is there any option to calibrate the current sensor?

Second, In all the flights the OSD quit working. Simply dissapears the OSD data and you can see only the video. It happens randomly, sometimes at the time of taking-off and sometimes in flight. If you want to have OSD again I have to unplug and plug again the battery, rebooting the module does not make the OSD to work and in the log says "No OSD found" until unpluging. It also detects the video as NTSC instead of PAL that is what I am using.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Santiago.
dejan

Re: GP2 current sensor and OSD

Postby lukasz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Santiago,

Congratulations on your first flight.
I have also experienced OSD problems while bench testing.
Didn't though find the root of the problem.
I was already highlighting this to Tom, but since I couldn't reproduce this than left that issue till I manage to find the cause of that.

Do you have by the chance RSSI connected to GP2?
I had a strange feeling that this is happening when there are sudden drops/changes to RSSI level.

What current sensor are you using?
lukasz

Postby dejan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi lukasz,

For first flights and test in short range I decided not to connect the rssi. I made a test leaving the plane connected at home for 45 min and nothing happened, the OSD worked perfectly, in my case and in my first 4 flights only happened in the air.

The current sensor I am using is the 50 amps one that came with the GP2 and I can remenber is Flytron´s one.
dejan

Postby dejan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:32 pm

I did not read this in "Gluonpilot 2 has arrived thread!!"

New features for the current 0.9 beta release:
- New OSD features
- Configure the OSD display
- RSSI of the RC-transmitter for the OSD
- Enable WAAS for GPS
- Mount the GP backwards
- Improved IMU stability (better sensor + algorithm tuning)
- Change the "neutral pitch angle" for non-waterpass mounting in your UAV
- Show 2nd battery voltage
- Show battery current & mAh (there is a bug, it shows it with a factor 2)

Sorry,
dejan

Postby Tom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Hello Santiago, Good noticing :-)

Indeed the current is a factor 2 off. It will be fixed in the next release. Also, I am planning to introduce a scaling factor in gluonconfig.

I didn't experience the OSD problem. So from your experience it seems as if the OSD chip stops working because a reboot doesn't seem to fix the problem.
Do you have a GP1 with OSD? Does this one keep on working in your setup?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby dejan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Hello Tom:

I have the GP1 with the OSD and never had any problem with it, worked perfect. Yesterday I left the GP2 connected for 1 hour and nothing happened, it only turns off in my case when the plane is in the air. If this weekend does not rain I will try again and see if I can find out something.

Thanks,

Santiago.
dejan

Postby Tom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Hello Santiago,

Some questions for you. But I can do the test myself this weekend:
-> Does the OSD also stop working if you use the GP2 in simulation mode? http://www.gluonpilot.com/wiki/Simulation
Tom
Site Admin

Postby dejan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Hello Tom:

In simulation mode the OSD stops working, sometimes works a few seconds after taking off and sometimes it reachs 10 minutes, but in all of them the OSD stopped. I made a small video with one of the simulations.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5IMbExP ... e=youtu.be

Santiago.
dejan

Postby lukasz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Yesterday I did couple if tests and have exactly same observations.
In simulation mode OSD stops displaying data, sometimes after couple of seconds or couple of minutes.
lukasz

Postby Tom » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:48 am

This seems to fix the problem.

This firmware probably contains more features than the latest GCS supports, so I will upload the beta2 GCS this evening.
Attachments
rtos_pilot.X.production.zip
(117.47 KiB) Downloaded 1222 times
Tom
Site Admin

Next

Return to Firmware