Trying the Gluon with servos

Here is the place for all your dsPic or autopilot questions.

Moderator: lukasz

Trying the Gluon with servos

Postby Rico21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Tom,

I start my tries!

As my Gluon is ready I have connected to it 4 servos, on output numbers 1,2,3,4.

The rc input is setup like this: I use ppm pulse train

Channel 1 is motor
Channel 2 is roll
Channel 3 is pitch
Channel 4 is Yaw
Channel 6 is AP

Control is setup to aileron.

AP is setup in manual position

Observations:

When I move the throttle stick on the transmetter nothing happend on the Gluon servos
When I move the roll stick servo 1 and 2 are moving
When I move the pitch stick servo 3 moves
When I move the yaw stick nothing move

Control is setup to quadrocopter with write and burn

the observations are the same, it seems we have only 3 outputs.

I have some questions:

The explanation on the page "control" seems to be erroneus isn't it?: 1 up/down, 2 aileron1, 3 aileron 2, 4 motor
When I move the throttle stick nothing happend, but I see it moving on the RC input page, is this a trouble on my gluon?
What about the yaw? Not available for the moment?

Thanks

Eric
Rico21

Re: Trying the Gluon with servos

Postby Tom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your feedback!

It seems as if control is working, except the motor:

- Could you "read" the settings from your gluon module and verify that they were "written" correctly?
- When you change the settings regarding control/mixing, you need to reboot the gluon module (with the rc-receiver connected and rc-transmitter on, and the throttle stick in idle position). (this is probably the reason your motor stick didn't work)
- Quadrocopter mixing has not been implemented yet (still building my own quadrocopter!). You can see this at the end of control.c. (http://code.google.com/p/gluonpilot/sou ... /control.c). In that case the default mixing (aileron) is used. Currently I do tests with my funjet so I use "Delta+" mixing.
- Yaw-input is not used for the moment. Stabilization currently only uses pitch & roll. Maybe a pass-through yaw control would be an option.

Can you let me know if you could successfully do the tests with these hints in mind?

Indeed, the explanation on the control page is wrong in aileron (default) mode, I'll update this.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Rico21 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Tom,

I have tried to do the things as you explain me but I have no more success with the motor servo.

I have put a printf for motor_out just before control_mix_out() in the control_manual() function. Iget values between -396 and +396 with 0 for the throttle stick on the middle position.

After I put a printf for servo_out[4] in the control_mix_out() function at the end of the default case (I use aileron config) the values I get are between 1104 and 1896 that looks good.

I have a look with my scope on the signal to the motor servo n° 4, this signal is always high.

I will continue my tries next week, I go tomorrow to Karlsruhe to see the model show, and perhaps to buy the adapted aircraft for UAV.

Thank you to say me where to look for this trouble. When I read the config it's good and I try to teboot the gluon each time I change the config.

Thank you

Eric
Rico21

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi Eric,

I made a silly mistake... I only updated servos 0 to 2 :-)
http://code.google.com/p/gluonpilot/sou ... /control.c

Now it should work fine :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Rico21 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Tom
Thank you for your investigations, I'm not at home for the moment, I will continue my trials next week.

I found this UAV yesterday visiting the Karlsruhe model fair.

http://www.bormatec.com/

Kind regards

Eric
Rico21

Return to Firmware