Bootloader/Firmware Upgrade Problem

Here is the place for all your dsPic or autopilot questions.

Moderator: lukasz

Bootloader/Firmware Upgrade Problem

Postby Mitch » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:59 pm

I attempted for the first time to use the gluonconfig firmware upgrade button. It looked like it was going to work, the dos command window opened and flashed some text, then it errored out. Tried a few times.

I was running gluonconfig 5.1 from the zip download and had 5b on the board. I reinstalled the bootloader then rtos pilot hex files from mplab (svn r77) and tried again with the same result.

I suspect there is something with the bootloader on my board that is not right. Is there a process spelled out somewhere to set up the bootloader or any other ideas? I'm assuming the boot loader installs to a chunk of memory exclusive of the other code. Is there some mplab configuration necessary here?

Would like to get this working to simplify future upgrades.

Thanks.
Mitch

Re: Bootloader/Firmware Upgrade Problem

Postby lukasz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:59 pm

As far as I remember this works once you have already loaded 5.x firmware to your gluonpilot.
Firmware upgrade from Gluonpilot config tool doesn't work if you have 4.x or earlier firmware loaded on your board.
You would need to upgrade gluonpilot firmware with 5.x version using boot loader and from this version you will be able to use this functionality from gluonpilot config tool.

While using early 5.x firmware i didn't have any problems upgrading firmware using Gluonconfig.
lukasz

Postby Tom » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi Mitch,

Does the firmware upgrade work using the ds30loader GUI?

No special changes to the firmware are needed because the bootloader puts itself at the very end of the memory range.

What kind of error do you get from the bootloader?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Mitch » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:17 pm

That was good advice as usual! I was corrupting the bootloader when I burned rtospilot from mplab. I installed only the bootloader from mplab. Then I used ds30loader GUI to install rtospilot. Now the firmware upgrade from gluonconfig functions properly. Thanks!
Mitch

Postby Jacqueline » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:57 am

The normal workaround would be to reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter. Didn't that solve the problem?

Return to Firmware