Upwind and downwind throttle compensation

Here is the place for all your dsPic or autopilot questions.

Moderator: lukasz

Upwind and downwind throttle compensation

Postby julioall » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Hello everyone!

Here is a problem I've been dealing with lately. I'm flying at ~300m ASL and sometimes my aircraft will be facing some winds about 20-30 kph. Since I'm doing photogrammetry missions, when flying upwind ground speed is decreased therefore more pictures are taken. In the other hand, when flying downwind ground speed is increase and less pictures are taken.

Here is the question: Is there a way for GP2 to compensate and have a constant ground speed when facing winds?

I thought about the auto throttle but seems like is not working for this or perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help. Cheers!
julioall

Re: Upwind and downwind throttle compensation

Postby kempo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:41 pm

julioall wrote:Hello everyone!

Here is a problem I've been dealing with lately. I'm flying at ~300m ASL and sometimes my aircraft will be facing some winds about 20-30 kph. Since I'm doing photogrammetry missions, when flying upwind ground speed is decreased therefore more pictures are taken. In the other hand, when flying downwind ground speed is increase and less pictures are taken.

Here is the question: Is there a way for GP2 to compensate and have a constant ground speed when facing winds?

I thought about the auto throttle but seems like is not working for this or perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help. Cheers!

Hi Julio,

I have the same issue and the best solution is auto-throttle control but you must be sure that your flight lines are not parallel with the wind direction but perpendicular .

The downside of this option is the turn sharpness at the end of flight lines : the turns from one side will be very good and the others will be overturning , so you must take into consideration this when doing the flightplan.

Try this on a flight and check if it works.
kempo

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi,

Gluonpilot combines altitude and speed to steer the throttle. If it is too slow (compared to the defined minimum and cruise speed) throttle should increase.

But indeed:
You should arrange your flight plan that you fly perpendicular to the wind, and the plane flies into the wind when it turn to the next line. This ways the turning circles are small.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby julioall » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:49 am

That is dangerous! Any crosswind will result in unstability, aerodynamically speaking.

Do you guys have any experience doing this with flying wings?

By the way Tom, I sent you a PM. Hope you find the time to reply.

Thanks guys!
julioall

Postby Tom » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Sorry I only fly flying wings. Never had any instability in crosswinds.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:52 am

julioall wrote:
Do you guys have any experience doing this with flying wings?

I am flying 2 wings : Skywalker X5 and a FX-61.
kempo

Return to Firmware