Current sensor - connection/calibration

Questions or remarks on the Gluonpilot-module? Put them here!

Moderator: lukasz

Current sensor - connection/calibration

Postby kempo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Since i had not found enough informations regarding the current sensor I need your help regarding the connections.

Below there is the actual setup that i have:

As usual, the pack of questions :) :

1. I want to measure the current and voltage for the main battery ( battery1) and only the voltage for the aux battery(battery2). What modification i must do on the actual setup to make this possible? The below graph is correct regarding the connection for the current sensor for the bat1 ? If yes, how i must connect battery 2 to gluonpilot v2?

2. On the ground station - advanced configuration-sensors there are 2 fields to calibrate the readings for voltage, current. This calibration applies for both battery readings (bat 1 and bat 2) ? What are the steps that must be followed to calibrate the voltage reading , current - mAh consumed ?

Thank you,
Alex
kempo

Re: Current sensor - connection/calibration

Postby Tom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Alex,

1. The 2 batteries should share the GND connection. If they do, you only have to connect the + of bat2 to then Bat2 pin

2. This calibration is only for the current sensor. Normally the offset should be zero (unless you have a magnetic current sensor). You can calculate the scaling value depending on your current sensor.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:53 am

Hi Tom,

can you tell me where is the bat2 pin ? I did not found any marking on the board ( or maybe it is too early in the morning :) ).

Thank you,
Alex
kempo

Postby kempo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 pm

I have added the current sensor for bat1 according with the diagram posted above , but the result is far from expectation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDe1s7BdI8

The reading regarding voltage and current consumed is wrong ( i have connected a 3s lipo batttery) and now it is appeared a voltage for bat2, but i did not connected a second battery to the board.

Aditionally , the artificial horizon is moving even if the plane is on the ground - this could be due to the small distance between the current sensor and the Gluonpilot V2 board, i suppose.
kempo

Postby kempo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:55 pm

kempo wrote:I have added the current sensor for bat1 according with the diagram posted above , but the result is far from expectation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDe1s7BdI8

The reading regarding voltage and current consumed is wrong ( i have connected a 3s lipo batttery) and now it is appeared a voltage for bat2, but i did not connected a second battery to the board.

Aditionally , the artificial horizon is moving even if the plane is on the ground - this could be due to the small distance between the current sensor and the Gluonpilot V2 board, i suppose.

Today i had some time and i have remade the connections but the issue is the same as in the video above , does someone use the current sensor (I think that i'm not the only one using it :) ) ?

If yes , do you have the same issues ?

Thank you.
kempo

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

very strange... could you take a photo of the top & bottom so I can verify the resistors?
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Tom wrote:very strange... could you take a photo of the top & bottom so I can verify the resistors?

Hello Tom,

Pictures below:

kempo

Postby Tom » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Sorry, I mean of the GP2 :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby kempo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Tom wrote:Sorry, I mean of the GP2 :-)

Pictures:

http://i60.tinypic.com/359y645.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2a6w3si.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2z4n1mu.jpg

Please tell me on what to focus, if needed what o measure.

Thank you,
Alex
kempo

Postby kempo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Hello all,

It's only me that is having this issue with the current sensor ? Or i'm the only one that bought it :) .
kempo

Next

Return to Hardware