GP2

Questions or remarks on the Gluonpilot-module? Put them here!

Moderator: lukasz

GP2

Postby penguin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi Tom,

now it's time for you to let the cat out of the bag ;)
I've just downloaded the new version '145' and wondered about the error messages at compiler run...
Do you use the onchip dmp of the MPU6XX0 or the sensors raw data? SPI or I2C?

Thanks, Rainer
penguin

Re: GP2

Postby Tom » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Haha, so curious :-)

Yes the firmware has been ported to my prototype module. It uses the MPU6000 using SPI. Seems to be more stable than the analog sensors!
We have no other option than the use the raw sensor data. Fixed wings are too complicated ;-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby RedSun » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Tom wrote: It uses the MPU6000 using SPI. Seems to be more stable than the analog sensors!
We have no other option than the use the raw sensor data.

The way of Ardupilot team :( I was hoping you will be the first who investigate the interior of mysterious MPU6000 and can program it by conventional way, not by the means of reverse engeneering... Manufacturer does not share full documentation even with wholesale buyer ?
RedSun

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 pm

I didn't investige the on-board MPU for motion estimation, for the simple reason that it can not work for fixed-wing aircraft.
We need speed in order to calculate the centripetal accelerations when making circles. Without speed the calculation will never be correct. And the MPU-6000 doesn't know the speed...
Tom
Site Admin

Postby RedSun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Really, there is no sense to measure and filter apparent acceleration into the MPU, and then estimate and subtract centripetal one in the autopilot. Copters use another model...
Thanks for the lesson of physics :D
RedSun

Return to Hardware