Sharing one GPS between Gluonpilot and an OSD?

Questions or remarks on the Gluonpilot-module? Put them here!

Moderator: lukasz

Sharing one GPS between Gluonpilot and an OSD?

Postby Konkani_70 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to share the NMEA output of a single GPS between gluonpilot and an eagle tree osd in particular, is it as simple as connecting the GPS's output to both units with one of them of course providing power or is it more complicated?
Konkani_70

Re: Sharing one GPS between Gluonpilot and an OSD?

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 pm

I guess it could be shared (never tried it however). Input towards GPS is harder to share...
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Konkani_70 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Can you please be more specific? I thought GPS modules were supposed to just output a string like NEMA without expecting any input from the receiving device, isn't that the case?
Konkani_70

Postby Konkani_70 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:34 am

Just a heads up Tom, I think the datasheet link for the LS20031 GPS module at your shop section is dead, even the one at sparkfun's website is outdated, the latest one is v1.3, it looks like a significant update.
Konkani_70

Postby Tom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I updated the link :-)

Gluonpilot starts by setting the GPS baudrate to 115200 and selects some specific NMEA sentences to optimize the overhead. This means the gluonpilot needs to send data to the GPS module. If 2 modules need to use 1 GPS unit, then only 1 unit will be able to send commands to the GPS (unless you use additional circuitry). In your case you probably don't need input from the OSD module, so I think it will work!
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Hardware