Powering module via ESC

Questions or remarks on the Gluonpilot-module? Put them here!

Moderator: lukasz

Powering module via ESC

Postby tropnevad » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi

I have the latest verson of the gluonpilot modules, but I was not sure where the solder jumpers SJ2 and SJ3 are on the new version? I can only see a single SJ.5V next to C4. Should i close this jumper if I want to power my module via the ESC?

Thanks
tropnevad

Re: Powering module via ESC

Postby Tom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:33 am

Good remark,
The older modules have 2 solder jumpers for connecting the Servo_5V and the module's 5V bus. On the latest module, I removed 1 of those 2 solder jumpers because it didn't really have a use.

So if you want to power your module using the ESC (be sure to test it throughly), you only need to short SJ.5V
Tom
Site Admin

Postby cassini » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Got a couple of question regarding powering.

So the Gluon requires a 5V supply somehow right? What about limits on currents?

1) Powering through ESC. So as far as I can see, most ESC will include a BEC, and the outputs of this are used to power the gluon.

However, how do we know what voltage the BEC outputs? Are they always ~5V or can they be changed/programmed?

2) Separate battery. I can't find any 5V batteries but it seems a lot of people use something like a small 7.4V LiPo for the autopilot gear. Would a separate BEC be required between the battery and the Gluon?

---

And finally, which is the more reliable option? My Gluonpilot has the shorted jumper (for use with an ESC). Would using a separate battery be safer/more reliable?

Sorry for all these questions Tom - I hope to have a video of something flying to show you soon!

Thanks!
cassini

Postby cassini » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:03 pm

^ this without an extension board btw.
cassini

Postby Tom » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm

1) most BEC's will output something between 4V5 and 5V5. All are good for the gluonpilot. 6V is not recommended.
Some separate BEC's also work at 6V, so be sure to check the manual :-)

2) Yes you would require a separate BEC.

If you don't use a lot of servo's (e.g. a small flying wing) you could use your ESC's BEC to power both the servos and the gluonpilot (in general it is not recommended but it will work).
Tom
Site Admin

Postby cassini » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 pm

ok thanks.

For testing on the ground (servos sensitivity/setup etc) is it possible to do that powered through the esc but without a motor attached?

Also, could I use this battery - http://www.giantcod.co.uk/gens-recharga ... 06713.html - for the gluon with the open jumper. And then have the LiPo+ESC powering the motor, servos and receiver?

thanks
cassini

Postby Tom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:51 am

Yes,

Be aware that the RC-receiver is not using the 5V from the servos, but the 5V from the gluonpilot.

A more weight-efficient solution would be a separate BEC of the extension board :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby cassini » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:16 pm

ok great. What sort of capacity would we be looking at for the separate gluon battery for ~20 min flight? 1500mAh? This is with the xbee too.
cassini

Postby Tom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:07 pm

For 20 minute flight it would be enough with 500mAh 2s.
I fly half an hour with 1700mAh 2s including motor!!! So you can use the power from your main battery and attach a separate BEC to that.

This reminds me I should measure the power consumption of the gluon board with GPS :-)
Tom
Site Admin

Postby cassini » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Wow ok, more efficient than I thought!

When you say -

Tom wrote: you can use the power from your main battery and attach a separate BEC to that.

do you mean the BEC in the ESC? Or have a secondary BEC just for the gluonpilot?

thanks.

---

EDIT - one more thing - is there a lower limit that the battery must supply the gluonpilot? Some of the smaller Nimh only seem to supply 1A - 2A max.
Last edited by cassini on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cassini

Next

Return to Hardware