What is the use of V_Batt connector

Questions or remarks on the Gluonpilot-module? Put them here!

Moderator: lukasz

What is the use of V_Batt connector

Postby Rico21 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 am

@Tom

Hi Tom,

Before I put the Gluonpilot under power I want to know what is the use of the connector labeled BATT. I suppose the connector 5V is to connect a battery (4.8 V) but I don't find what is the use of AN_VBatt which is connected on pin RB8. Can you help me please. I have read Getting_started but i don't find the answer.

thank you

Eric
Rico21

Re: What is the use of V_Batt connector

Postby Tom » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Eric,

BATT is for when you want to measure the voltage of you battery. It is a voltage divider towards the ADC (see schematic).
To power the module you need to feed 5V towards the board using one of these options:
- The FTDI/uart port (my preferred option while developing)
- The 5V connector under BATT
- The PPM/PWM inputs (e.g. the 5V from your ESC)

See http://www.gluonpilot.com/wiki/Hardware for the meaning of all connections.

Please let me know if it's still not working.

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Rico21 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi Tom,

I was only wondering about this connector, thank you for your answer. For the moment I have tried "subversion", it works OK. I have made a special cable for ICSP to connect the ICD3. I have just a trouble with the "serialport 25" my FTDI cable on USB give me "com4", so I need to change it in the two places in file form1.cs to connect the PC .I suppose this the good action before to write a routine with a choice selection.I will try this tomorrow, and inform you. At this point I have a look on all your programs and I have to congratulate you! I give you some news asap.

Thank you

Eric
Rico21

Postby Rico21 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Tom,

The following,
In order to test my ICD3 programmer I have rebuild the project in mode "release" and I load it in the Gluon after having erased the memory of Gluon. When I push connect no problem and about 20 seconds later I get these messages:

Gluonpilot V0.1
Config: 220 bytes
Loading configuration done
Control Task initializing Waiting for PPM Frame

and after these messages appear from time to time with a delay of about 30 seconds. It looks like a reboot of the uprocessor.
All the press buttons of the toolbar are ready to use but I think they have no effect (default,burn) exept the load config,graph ( without data) and openGL (without animation). The leds don't light.

Is it necessary to have PPM before starting the Gluon? Do you have an idea of this trouble?

Thank You

Eric
Rico21

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Eric,

The module is waiting for PPM-pulse input from the RC-receiver before he launches any other tasks. I will disable this, or add a time-out.
See line 56: http://code.google.com/p/gluonpilot/sou ... /control.c

Comment it out if you don't have a PPM receiver connected on PPM1. Next time I do a check-in of the code, I will make sure to have changed this. The same is valid for GPS-lock waiting.

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

I updated the code on SVN!

Now also includes servo min/max/neutral (no write yet) in case you want to start playing with that.

The current code is configured for PPM pulse train input. I think I better change it to PWM input because that's what most people will use.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Rico21 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Tom

Comment it out if you don't have a PPM receiver connected on PPM1. Next time I do a check-in of the code, I will make sure to have changed this. The same is valid for GPS-lock waiting.

I tested the comment on line 56 of control.c and .... :lol: it's working fine! I will have a look on your update on svn.

Now I will take a few days to study all the programs and next I will be ready to help you if you want.

thank you

Eric
Rico21

Postby magellan » Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Tom,

Quick question:

I am installing the Gluon in a Glider. I plan to power the board with a separate battery so the sensors wont be subject to current variation caused by servos drawing power.
My problem is finding the right battery. I want to use 2 small LiFe batteries in series that will give me 6.6 V.
Should I use a voltage regulator to drop down to 5 V or can the board handle the current?

Thanks,
Olivier
magellan

Postby Tom » Wed May 11, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Olivier,

This won't be a problem as your gluon board is completely 3V3 (so everything is behind a linear voltage regulator). You could also use the extension board (not yet available ;-) ) and take advantage of it's switched voltage regulator.

Keep in mind that this could impact the use of an optional magnetometer.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby magellan » Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 pm

HI Tom,
You mean I can power the board directly with 6.6 V on the Batt Pins without causing any damage or should I still use a Voltage Reg?

Thanks,
Olivier.
magellan

Next

Return to Hardware